Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Basil on Basil on Basil

Summer is officially over and it's so bittersweet. Isn't it always? Yesterday was Eliza's first day of 1st grade and it's like she never even left! Even though she's at a new school, she seems completely adjusted already. Kids. They're so resilient. 

I'm kind of bummed that I don't get to sleep in any more though, I will definitely miss that. But I do have a good chunk of the weekdays all to myself again! Which means I can work and clean and exercise and just have time to myself without a 6 year old running around! And it also means that we're back to a more regular routine and one of the things I'm most excited about is cooking. Every. Night. I'm so over fast food. And spending money on sub-par meals that only makes me feel terrible. 

I'm ready for some mouth-watering, so-healthy-it's-unbelievable, crazy exciting, and completely satisfying, delicious food!!!! Sometimes I forget how much I love food guys. And then I remember! And then I totally fan girl over all these recipes that I've just pinned to my pinterest board (called yummy-ness, in case you were wondering) and wish I could cook them all at once but I have to remember that I can only eat one meal a night and that I need to be patient because I've got my whole life to make food so it's totally going to be alright and I just need to chill out. 

Anyways. Moving on. 

So we have this garden that has been almost completely taken over by basil. Which is fine by me. Bring on the basil! But the thing is, the usual pesto pasta and pizza get old after a while. So today I went on a hunt for some fresh (and delicious) ideas to use up all this dang basil. These are the top contenders. I'm working my way down the list as we speak. 


thai_basil_eggplant-5
Thai Basil Eggplant 

Caprese Panini
Caprese Panini w/Tomato, Pesto, & Mozzarella

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Ricotta, Pesto and Grilled Haloumi | NotEnoughCinnamon.com
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Ricotta, Pesto, & Grilled Haloumi (which is apparently a cheese? and if anyone knows where I can find this "cheese", I would be forever grateful for your knowledge!)

Pesto Lasagna 

Grilled-Vegetable-Quesadillas-with-Goat-Cheese
Grilled Vegetable Quesadilla 

Shrimp and Veggie Pesto Pasta :: peasandcrayons.com
Shrimp & Veggie Pesto Pasta 

Vegetarian pesto, squash noodles and spaghetti with burst cherry tomatoes - cookieandkate.com
Pesto Squash Noodles & Spaghetti with Burst Cherry Tomatoes 

One-Pan Spring Tuscan Quinoa Bake | halfbakedharvest.com @hbharvest
One Pan Spring Tuscan Quinoa Bake 

Sweet Corn and Zucchini Pie - a simple crustless pie featuring fresh summer veggies and melted cheese. 275 calories. | pinchofyum.com #vegetarian #zucchini #pie #recipe #healthy
Sweet Corn Zucchini Pie 

One-Hour Sun-dried Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Focaccia Bread - Fast, easy & ready in 1 hour so there's no excuse not to have fresh homemade bread with dinner!
One Hour Sun-Dried Tomato Basil & Mozzarella Focaccia

Another that I don't have a picture for but would like to try: 
Roasted Red Pepper & Basil Pesto Pasta 

Annnnnd you can check out a few other pesto based recipes I've tried here. 

Oh man. Basil ya'll. 

IMG_5162 copy