Monday, February 9, 2015

Vegan Potato Nachos // Homemade Salsa

GUYS, I've found my newest favorite meal. VEGAN. POTATO. NACHOS. Ahhhh, they are so delicious. Like all of my favorite foods combined! 

For some reason, I've had potatoes on the mind, non-stop, for the past week (is that the p.m.s?) sooooo we've been eating a lot of potatoes. But no complaints here! And I've actually had this specific meal like 3 times in a row (it's that good!) so I figured it's about time I shared this wonderful, tasty goodness!  photo 2 (19)
It's basically nachos but instead of using chips (boooo), you use baked potatoes (ya!). And just like that, it's healthified! Then I loaded them up with all of the typical nacho-y goodness.

I used: 
-Baked Potato Chips (you can bake them like medallions or just do regular fries, both are great)
-Spinach and/or lettuce
-Guacamole (avocados, lemon juice, cumin, salt)
-Black beans/corn/taco seasoning mix, mmmm
-Vegan Sour Cream (recipe below)
-Salsa (recipe below)
-Black Olives

photo 3 (18)

SALSA 
1 clove of garlic 
1/2 onion 
4 roma tomatoes (2 cups)
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 lemon or 1 tbs 
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp apple cider vinegar 
1 tsp salt 
1 tsp cumin
2-4 jalapenos or 1/4 cup tabasco
-Process all ingredients in food processor. I suggest doing the onions, garlic, and peppers first and then adding the rest (to make sure you don't get giant chunks of onion or pepper!). 

VEGAN SOUR CREAM 
1 cup cashews (preferable soaked for an hour or overnight) 
1/2 cup-3/4 cup water 
2 tsp lemon juice (I used about 1/2 a lemon) 
1 tsp acv 
pinch of salt 
1 tbsp nutritional yeast 
-Blend all ingredients in a blender for maximum creamy-ness

I taste tested it and decided to add a splash more of lemon juice and acv, giving it a little more "sour" to the cream! 



So this meal is kinda fatty with all the nuts, avocado, and olives. BUT it's the good kinds of fat and it's still loaded with tons of yummy veggies. So while it's still healthy, I wouldn't be eating this every night of the week. But it is a wonderfully tasty alternative to regular nachos! And animal cruelty free! Wahoo! 

IMG_5162 copy