Saturday, January 31, 2015

Vegan Sloppy Joes

A while back I bought a bat of tvp to attempt to make some fake wings. It didn't work out and I realized that I'm not a huge tvp fan. BUT I still had a bit left and sloppy joes seemed like the best way to use it up. So I whipped together this simple recipe and it was surprisingly delicious. I ate entirely too many sloppy joes. After I lazily dumped our dishes in the sink, climbed up to the loft with my food baby and collapsed on my bed. It was a good night. 
IMG_1562

Ingredients: 
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3-4 garlic, diced
1 1/4 cup dry tvp 
1 can whole roasted tomatoes, briefly pulsed in blender 
1 1/2 cup water (I just filled the can above halfway with water)
3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, next time I'll try just 2
(or try 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon mustard,1 tablespoon sugar)
1 tablespoon chili powder 
2 teaspoons oregano 
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup sugar
(because I have a ton that I want to get rid of but you can also use agave or just use less)
freshly ground black pepper 
sea salt

Directions: 
1. Saute onion and bell pepper in a bit of water (about 1/4 cup). 
2. Add rest of ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Serve on bun and done!

Untitled-1
Also, you see that bun right there? I made it, from scratch!! I was pretty proud of myself. Recipe for that, coming later. 

Here were the few places I gathered my recipe inspiration from: 123
This recipe is very similar to my Hatch Chile Sloppy Joes, minus the heat and beans, plus the tvp. Next time, I'll make one more similar to that. I don't know what it is about tvp that makes me feel all squeamish. It's like throw up chunks in my mouth? I guess I prefer less processed ingredients in my food. You know, like when you can tell what it actually is? Next time, I'll definitely be sticking with beans as my meat substitute. 

IMG_5162 copy