Thursday, January 22, 2015

Vegan Muffaletta

Growing up with a mother raised in New Orleans, muffalettas where a household favorite. So when I became vegan, this was something I was determined to make a substitute for. But honestly, substitute is a terrible word for it. I think this vegan version is just as good, if not BETTER than it's meaty counterpart. But coming from a veggie lover, that statement may be a little biased.... Anyhow, here is my veggie version of the famous Muffaletta. Enjoy! 
IMG_8038

Olive Salad Necessities:
Jar of green, pimento stuffed olives (I usually buy the small olives but it doesn't matter)
Half jar of Giardiniera
Can of whole black olives (Or Kalamata)
1-2 tbs of Capers

-Process ingredients until they become finely diced but not mush! You can also hand dice them if you don't have a food processor, just mix everything in a bowl when you're done and you're good to go! 

Other things you can add: 
Couple cloves of garlic 
Pinch of parsley 
Pinch of Oregano 
Dash of pepper 
Couple tbs of Olive oil (I avoid this to lessen the fat content)

Filling: 
Spinach 
Roasted Bell Peppers 
Chopped Onions 
Avocado (I prefer mine more of guac(mashed) style but chopped is cool too)

Other things you can add: 
Sriracha (a necessity in our house)
Tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes 
Oil and vinegar drizzled inside 
Artichoke hearts 
Basil 
Garlic 
Portabello mushrooms (raw or sauteed with red wine/balsamic vinegar) 
Pepperoncini 

Bread:
All on 1 loaf of Ciabatta Bread (toasted is how I prefer it)

Then you start your layering! Start off with your bread, spread on some olive salad, and top it with all the filling options to your liking! I have this problem where I tend to load sandwiches up too much... so I try to keep the filling options to a maximum of 5. 
IMG_8027
And there you have it! Eat it cold, room temp, or heat it up to bring out the flavors, and they're even better the next day as leftovers! Mmmmmm mmm!

IMG_5162 copy