Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Rope Basket

Capture
When finishing up our loft, I knew I was going to need some kind of container to round up all the little things we keep laying around. I try to keep it as clean and clutter free as possible so this was muy importante! I didn't want to buy anything so I opted for making instead. After a lot of research, I decided to make some simple rope baskets. 

The process of making them is pretty easy. I searched online for a tutorial and found these three that helped: 1, 2, 3. Basically what you do is start coiling some rope, I used a needle and thread to secure it. But as you see in the picture above, you start coiling and every few inches you secure the new length of coiled rope by binding it to the one before it. And once you have a wide enough base, you start stacking the coils to create the bowl part. Also, I should note that because I used such a thin piece of string (thread) I wrapped it several times to add strength. I tried not to buy a lot of material for this project so I just used what I had, which is the beauty of this particular project.

And voila! You have a rope basket! I also created a larger one to hold our extra bedding and it works fabulously. These baskets where a little time consuming to make (I blame part of this on the thread and having to wrap it a lot) but it's a great craft to do while watching a movie or tv show. I highly suggest it!  
IMG_5162 copy