Saturday, January 24, 2015

Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guide

Let's talk about HEALTH! 

So I started getting really serious about my health and fitness last February. While I wasn't as dedicated as I could have been (hey, I have a life, I'm not perfect), I am pretty proud that I kept up a decent workout regimen for almost the whole year. You can see my 5 month results here from the time I actually began. And then in about June/July, I started training for my 60 mile bike ride which I successfully completed made it through without dying. Woohoo! 

During all of this time, I had built up some serious muscle. I mean, not a lot but more than I ever thought I was capable of! I had rebuilt my abs and my legs were more muscular than ever! And don't let me forget about my arms, I was surprised they had any substance to them at all! Needless to say, I was pretty happy with myself.

After the bike race in August, I tried to work out a few times a week but nothing too serious and then the holidays came and I (surprisingly) got really motivated again. I actually got a gym membership and Brandon and I started working out together. Which is really fun by the way, to have someone to workout with. 

Buuuut he just got a full time job and I'm probably going to have to cancel my gym membership. But that's ok! Because I recently found this amazing lady, Kayla Itsines that has created this workout plan called the Bikini Body Guide (doesn't that just sound yummy?!) that is absolutely perfect! 

 This workout plan is so great because it doesn't require any major equipment (just simple tools like dumbbells and medicine balls) AND I can do it all from home. Plus, the workouts are only 28 minutes long and the whole workout plan is pretty flexible so I can squeeze the workouts into my week whenever I have the time. 

But the best part of all, is that it's had so much success from women all over the world! The community around this bikini body guide is so incredibly inspiring and extremely helpful when you need a little extra motivation. I can spend hours going through all of the awesome transformations on instagram that all of these women have gone through. And it's all kinds of women too, with this one goal of getting healthy and happy

Anywho, I'm really looking forward to stepping up my workout routine and finally get that six pack I've been pining for! I've spent the last year gaining muscle and keeping my diet in check, now it's time to lean up and get ready for summer! 

Bikini Bundle
Because I already have a pretty solid diet, I decided I probably don't need the H.E.L.P guide so I decided to only buy the Bikini Body Guide. This is what it includes: 

12 week workout plan 
189 Page Guide
Effective Cardio Methods
Target Problem Areas
Each Workout Under 30min

"Starting with my Bikini Body Guide is SO simple! Each workout during the 12 weeks is presented in a basic format, making it easy for you to get started right away. The program begins with smaller challenges, then ramps you up over the following weeks, to higher levels. This allows your body to continue adapting, and helps to avoid plateau. A glossary of each exercise is also included to ensure you have the best direction for form, and technique."

And I should note, it also comes with a few weeks of pre-training for those beginners that aren't completely ready to jump into the hardcore training. And it is hardcore! She says "easy" but these workouts will test you and your determination to really have that dream body. I mean, it's absolutely worth it but you gotta do some work to get there. It is by no means, "easy". Simple, yes. Easy? No. 

But enough of my blabbing, I'll let some of those transformations do the talking! These are what lured me into this guide in the first place! 
12
12,
34
 34,
56
56,
78
78,
910
910,
1112
11, 12

If that doesn't motivate you, than I don't know what will! I mean, who doesn't want a butt like that ^^

I thought I'd write out how the workouts go for me so here is the first week!

Week 1: 
Day 1 (leg day) // Sweating buckets, it's totally kicking my butt. I did each round twice during each circuit. Holy wow. Also, I took a minute between circuits otherwise I might have died. Or passed out. Or puked. 

Day 2 (LISS) // Went for a brisk hike for 45 minutes and worked up a nice sweat. It was really nice, I'm very lucky to live right next to this state forest. Hiking for the win! 

Day 3 (arms and abs) // Great workout, not quite as taxing as leg day as my whole body didn't move around as much but just as challenging as my upper body seriously lacks strength to do a whole lot. I finished the first round of upper body exercises twice in each circuit (with girly push ups though, I can't do full on ones yet) but the second round of ab exercises, I only did about 1 1/2. They just seemed to take a bit longer. Definitely still sweating a lot though. I did it first thing in the morning and hopefully will maintain a nice boost of energy for the rest of my day. Now to carb up! 

Day 4 (LISS) // Went for another hike, this time with Brandon and my mother in law. It was beautiful as always and the weather was perfect! Hiked about 2 1/2 miles in 45 minutes. 

Day 5 (whole body) // I like the whole body workout, it's a little less intense as the exercises are more spread out and not focused on just one portion of the body. 

Day 6 (LISS) // In Marfa! For my LISS, we went hiking for a couple hours at Davis Mountain State Park and it was a dream. Working out on vacation can be fun if you make it! 

IMG_5162 copy