Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Vegan Hatch Chili Soup

IMG_7178
A lot like taco soup but with an added kick (we love that heat around here) and some extra tomatoes to soup it up a bit. Sometimes I crave tomatoes so you know, I threw in all kinds of them. Plus hatch. Because hatch. 

So this recipe is low fat, low sodium, loaded with veggies, super delicious, and above all easy. This is a great raw till 4 meal and I purposely made a huge batch because 1) we eat a lot and 2) it's nice to cook a big batch one night and have it last for a few extra. But I would put out a word of caution on the canned/jar products, watch the sodium here! I always get organic and low sodium when I have the chance. It makes a difference. 
IMG_7176
Ingredients: 
2 onions 
2 bell peppers
6 hatch chiles 
3 jalapenos 
1 head of garlic (yes, a whole head. I love garlic but feel free to use less if you please) 
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (I went with fire roasted) 
12 oz. can tomato paste 
2 cans black beans 
36 oz. tomato puree (or sauce)
16 oz. of frozen corn 
1.5 tbs paprika 
4 tbs oregano 
5 tbs cayenne 
2 tbs cumin 
3 tbs chili powder 

Steps: 
1. Sautee onions, bell pepper, hatch, and jalapeno until softened. I just use water to avoid oil. 
2. Add in the garlic and cook for an extra 5 minutes. 
3. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. 


Sooo simple, right?! 

IMG_5162 copy