Monday, October 27, 2014

Going (Almost) Raw: My Eating Routine

Today I'm here to share more about my Raw Till 4 lifestyle, specifically what I eat on the daily. But first, a few facts about eating raw that I found interesting: 
 Can we get enough protein if we eat vegetables, fruits and nuts? 

Yes, because every plant cell has protein as a basic constituent in its cytoplasm. Did you know that vegetables contain protein? Seeds and nuts obviously also contain proteins. Then you have seaweeds and algae, which are very rich sources also. In reality, your body doesn't use whole proteins because it must break these down into amino acids. Plant proteins generally break down for assimilation quicker than animal proteins and are sometimes found in the form of amino acids. 

Do I have to be 100% raw to get the raw food benefits? 

Of course not, you can transition by increasing the percentage of cooked to raw food according to your needs and desire. All you have to do is increase the amount of raw food you eat now. You will decide what your body needs best. Besides during cold winter months, cooked foods, such as soups or stews can be comforting and warm. 

Is it true that all vegetables lose their nutrients when they are cooked? 

Actually there are a few that do not. Some methods of cooking are safe and even beneficial in terms of reducing anti-nutrients and enhancing the availability of nutrients from certain foods, such as carrots, onions, sweet corn, sweet potatoes and tomatoes. 


Here is what I eat in a typical day, I'm still not quite up to 2500-3000 calories yet but I'm working my way up! And I do have off days where my diet looks nothing like this but it's a work in progress. I've learned to be gentle on myself and I always make it back to eating this way because I don't feel better eating any other way. Anyways, here's what my days look like: 

>In the morning, I'll drink a glass of water first thing (sometimes with a few drops of lemon oil or slim and sassy oil to get the metabolism going). 

Breakfast: 

> Smoothie: 
10 dates 
cup of spinach 
2 cups of water/oj/coconut water 
1 pint blueberries 
handful of some other fruit 
a few scoops of green superfood 
sometimes a bit of coconut sugar 

or 

>1/2 to 3/4 of a watermelon, I like to blend it up, it's easier to consume. This has been my obsession lately, especially when I feel like I need to cleanse. Watermelon just cleans me out! 

or

>6-8 bananas 

Lunch: 

>6-8 bananas (that's about all I can put down in one meal)

or 

>1 pineapple (must be eaten with something else though or it will burn your tongue!)

or 

> a datorade 

or 

>1/2 to 3/4 of a watermelon 

Dinner: 

Low fat, high carb vegan meal. Some of my favorites: 

>Cilantro & Lime Rice 
2 cups rice 
1 bunch cilantro 
juice of 1-2 limes
>Enchilada Spaghetti (minus the animal products)
>Quick Veggie Enchiladas (minus the cheese since I'm vegan now and oil to make it low fat)
Sometimes I'll make an avocado sauce for Brandon, something like this.
> Easy Taco Soup (minus cheese and oil)

Lately, I have been getting adventurous and trying out new recipes. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to convert any meal into a low fat, high carb, and vegan dish! So when I search for recipes, I start off by searching for vegan meals. And then, to convert it to high carb/low fat, I usually just omit any cooking oil (mostly used in recipes for sauteing, I just use water) and only use a little bit of salt to flavor it. Also, the less processed ingredients you use, the better! So I try to make things that involve a lot of fresh ingredients and make everything from scratch! 

I'll have to share some more of my dinner recipes. They're usually pretty simple and straight forward, I like to keep it easy and stress free! 

IMG_5162 copy