Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day

We all know how much we love and appreciate our own mothers. But I don't think it's until you become a mother yourself that you truly understand the weight of a mother's love. How much they sacrifice for you and how much they really do for you on a daily basis, something that will continue for their entire life. 

The day my daughter came out of my tiny, 18 year old body weighing a whopping 9 lb 8 oz, my life completely changed. And at the risk of sounding like a complete cheeseball, I must say that having my daughter has brought more joy to my life than I've ever known possible. She makes me a better person every single day. 

I'm lying in the bed next to hers and as promised, glancing her way every two minutes to make sure she is ok (it's been a while since she's had to sleep in a bed of her own). And then this song comes on with perfect timing and I realize how absolutely appropriate it is for this moment. No matter what happens in my life, no matter how sad I get sometimes, she is always there. She is always around to put a smile on my face and brighten my day. She reminds me of the happiness you can find in life, if you only look for it. And looking at her, it's hard not to be happy. She is literally half me and there are very few things that make me happier than she does. 


And I can't help but think that this is what my mother must have felt too. What she still feels as a mother. What all mothers feel. 

It's such an honor to be a mother, what a wonderful tradition passed down with such great love. And the best part, is that it doesn't matter what kind of mother you are, whether you are a Martha Stewart wanna be that always looks perfect and has their shit together all the time or a mess of a gypsy mamma like myself that builds her own house and creates for a living. None is better than the other, the love of a mother is all the same. It is a beautiful, magical thing to be a mamma to the wonderful creation that is your own child.

So happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there. You are beautiful and strong and amazing! 

IMG_5162 copy