Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Dying To Be Thin

I came across this video a while back. I don't know, I feel like people know this. I mean, right? But it still happens. Models are still starving themselves and little girls are still growing up thinking that they have to be flawless and impossibly skinny to be beautiful. I stopped reading magazines ages ago because of this. This is also why I don't like the fashion industry and got out of it as fast as I could. This is real life guys. And this is a huge problem. I still cannot fully wrap my head around it. Things have gone too far. 


So I did a little experiment. I'm not a photoshop expert but I know my way around it pretty well. I never retouch my photos with the exception of lighting and maybe if I have like a huge zit or something that is distracting from clothes I'm trying to sell. So I did a little research and only using two tools, figured out how to do what those guys do. 

This is a picture I posted a while back (here). So this is untouched, only lighting changes. 
IMG_7477
And then I started altering it. I gave volume to my hair, made my face skinnier, my boobs bigger, my waist thinner, my shoulders more narrow, my thighs skinnier, and my hips more curvy in the right spots. It doesn't look like me anymore. At least I don't think so. But it still looks believable right? 
IMG_7477 copy
And then I got a little more ridiculous, to see how far I could really take it. 
IMG_7477 copy copy
It's kind of scary! Just the fact that I could take a picture of myself and alter it to the point where it doesn't even look like me, is really disturbing. 

I don't get it. Why would you want a picture of yourself that isn't exactly how you are? So you can pretend you are something else? Who are you trying to kid? Everyone else or just yourself? Let's just be real. We can't set expectations like this. No one looks like that and that's ok. We are human and we are beautiful. 

I found these beautiful pictures from the 50's. I love them because these woman are beautiful and full of flaws! They don't all have perfectly flat stomachs or ridiculously thin thighs. They are perfect the way they are, cellulite and all. 
source
source
source
source
source
source
source
Even Marilyn Monroe, one of our greatest icons was not perfect. And I'm totally loving it. 

Oh and while we're on the topic, I came across this article by Delightfully Tacky about body hair. You guys already know how I feel about hair but she really says it all. I highly suggest you go read it! 

Alright, well I'm done ranting for one day. What do you guys think? 

IMG_5162 copy