Sunday, March 9, 2014

How To Juggle A Million Things And Stay Sane

I'm not saying that juggling a million things at once is the best thing to do and definitely not something to live your life by. However, sometimes we find ourselves in circumstances where we have a lot going on and it's just inevitable. 4 months ago, I was going to school, running a business, building a house, living in two separate houses, trying to be a good mom/partner, and kind of have a social life! And it wasn't easy, let me tell you. And still, now that I've finished school and have a semi-permanent place of residence, I find myself overwhelmed with everything going on. But I just keep pushing through it in hopes that some day I will reach the end of this craziness and find peace and maybe some kind of calm. 
meditation source

And that's where this list comes in. For those that have found themselves inevitably juggling a million things at once, here are my tips on how to not go crazy! 

1. Get sleep, seriously. Through everything, the thing I do the most for myself is sleep. I would like to say that I wake up early... but that would be a lie. I stay up way too late trying to get things done to wake up early and have gotten enough sleep. So I sleep in (but not too late). Over the past few months I've become more aware of my body and how things effect it and when I don't get enough sleep now, my body kind of throws itself a fit and gives me the worst headaches. It's the only time I get headaches too. So when my head starts to hurt (like last night!), I know it is time to hit the hay. I take my sleep serious. 

2. Create a schedule/routine/plan but be flexible. Scheduling is everything. It gives you a peace of mind, you can figure out what you need to do and when you need to do it. That said, it's also important to stay flexible so you don't freak out when things don't go your way. Which brings me to my next tip...

3. Let the little things slide. Life's too short to throw a fit about every little thing. It's ok. 

4. Don't forget about the important things and the basics. You have to remember your priorities! Sometimes it's more important to spend 30 minutes cuddling with your adorable, lovable, and so irresistible baby than whatever else you've got on your mind. Oh and remember the laundry? Ya, I'm catching up with like a month of neglecting..... this is going to take a while. Woops! Also, take care of yourself ya'll. But I'll get more into that later. 

5. Let yourself have bad days. It's totally ok to break down every once in a while, in fact, I encourage it because sometimes it can help you to slow down and evaluate your situation. If things aren't working out, it will give you a chance to simplify and eliminate unnecessary things or to really get your feelings out and just deflate all that hot air. 

6. But don't stay there, learn, grow, and move on! Yesterday I was having one of those days. Like a so-overwhelmed-you-become-disabled kind of day. Ya, that was me. So instead of doing everything I thought I should be doing, I decided to take the day off. I spent half of my day lounging around with loved ones and the other half doing something special for myself! It was fabulous, I felt so much better and today I'm ready to get back in the game! Sometimes I just make the mistake of working so much that I forget to take time off and pamper myself. So if you're stuck in a rut, take a break. Do something for yourself. Do something inspiring. It's nice to give yourself some down time so that you can bounce back whenever you're ready. 

7. If you forget your whys, talk about it... Or write about it! Either way, it helps to remember why you are doing something in the first place or maybe it'll help you realize that you don't want to even do it and you can change! Just ask yourself, If I wasn't doing this, what would I be doing? If the answer is the same thing, than cool! If it's something different, than perhaps you should think about changing your plan. 

8. Above all, relax. Don't take everything so damn seriously (talking to myself here!). You don't have to be perfect and there's really no rush. A new affirmation I like saying to myself when I'm frustrated or stressed is "trust and allow". Everything will be OK. Really. Just breathe.

IMG_5162 copy