Monday, February 24, 2014

Going (Almost) Raw: Being Informed

source
I wanted to talk about a huge passion of mine (if you couldn't tell already) and that is eating! Guys, I love eating. If you know me, you know that I think about food probably half of my day. Sometimes it makes me feel guilty or unhealthy but you know, it's totally ok! Because we literally live off of food. It's only natural, right? 

However, with 69.2% of our adults being overweight (ya, that's a real number!) it's also a huge problem. 


I honestly think this is such a huge part of why we are so unhealthy today. We don't know the first thing about health/eating well and all the people out there "teaching" us, are feeding us loads of propaganda because they really don't want us to get healthy! Because they are the ones profiting from our terrible habits afterall! Who do you think is pushing facts about dairy and meat to make us think we need them in our diets? Associations that we have trust in that are in reality, controlled by the big corporations selling these things. America is so corrupt these days, it's no wonder we're running around like big fat chickens, not knowing what to do about it!

Now, I don't think that eating fully raw is for everyone. I can't even do it right now! I just love cooking too much. But I do believe we have a lot to learn and this is definitely one of the best options out there. Yes, it's easier said than done but if you're having health issues, if you're overweight, than stop complaining and take responsibility for what you put in your body and how you take care of yourself! All it takes is to start being aware of what you put in your mouth. Is it fresh? Is it processed? If someone else made it, what the heck is in it? And are those things healthy and nourishing? Question everything, and if it helps, keep a record so you can see just what you're eating! It may surprise you! For a star thought, try to cut out as much processed foods as you can, eat out less, cut down on eating meat and dairy, and eat as much raw fruits and vegetables as you possibly can and then some! I don't think starving yourself is the answer, I think you should be able to eat as much as you want! But you have to take responsibility for what you put in your mouth. If you eat a ton of meat and dairy and most of your meals come from a factory or restaurant, then you are going to have health problems, you are going to be overweight. And this should be common sense. But the sad thing is, people either don't know, or flat out don't care. 

While some times I falter at eating 100% completely healthy (I'm only human), this is something I'm really passionate about. What's the point of eating if you're not nourishing your body? It's as simple as that. If you're craving sweets, eat some fruit. If you're craving fats (animal products), eat some nuts or an avocado. This is what your body is trying to tell you but you've got it mixed up because we've been fed all this processed crap and now we don't know any better! We've forgotten how to listen to our bodies. It's like our bodies and ourselves are two separate entities that have forgotten how to communicate with each other. 

I want to be healthy, I want to nourish my body, I want to feel great, look great, and be confident in my own body. So I've done the research and I've reaped the benefits. And it just irks me that people just don't care. What can possibly be more important than your health? Without it, you would be dead! 

And while we're preaching, I found this video today and... it's really intense ya'll but it's the truth. If you claim to know right from wrong and claim to be compassionate, you should watch this video. 
"If it's not good enough for my eyes, why is it good enough for my stomach?" 

Now, I have my one day a week that keeps me sane where I go and pig out on chicken wings. They are my weakness. But after this video.... I'm not so sure. Even if my one day a week contributes to this violence and unthinkable disregard for these poor creature's life.... I don't think I can. 

And you know, it's not that I want everyone to turn around and become vegan. But I think that it's important for people to be informed so they don't make ignorant decisions. We have been so brainwashed and this is a really important message. Even if you can't go vegan, I think it is important to cut out animal products as much as you can. Not only for the animals but of your health! They cause diseases people. To name a few- heart disease, diabetescancer (breast, prostate, and bowel), heart attacks, high cholesterol. We are clearly not made to be carnivores. We were made to eat food from the earth. And we were definitely not made to torture animals this way for our own selfish "needs". 

A change in diet takes a lot. It takes a lot of research, a lot of learning. You essentially have to reprogram your mind to get over the brainwashing you've received throughout your entire life! And it's hard. It's so hard. Especially when you're around people that are doing the complete opposite and are not exactly supporting. But that is change. It's not always easy but it's for the best. When you start to learn these things about eating for your health, everything starts to make sense! Like, duh we're not supposed to put animals through this. Eating fruits and vegetables make you look better, feel better, and improve your life 10 fold! And eating fresh food can be so much easier than having to deal with raw meat or cook all the time. It may take some rinsing and cutting but that's about the extent of it! 

"Going Raw" is more than just a diet. It's a lifestyle! One that will improve your health and overall well-being! As I make this change, I want to share everything I'm learning and the steps I'm taking to accomplish this huge undertaking. And hopefully I'll inspire a few people along the way ;) 

IMG_5162 copy