Monday, February 10, 2014

Getting Healthy, Part 1: Diet

One of my big resolutions for this year is to get back on the healthy train. I don't know about you guys but the holidays were a wreck for me and by the end, I was feeling absolutely terrible. Once the New Year came, I kept trying to avoid it until one day I just got so sick and couldn't stand it anymore. I turned to the internet, started doing a ton of researching/getting inspired, and made a plan to change my "diet" and incorporate a feasible workout routine.

source
So there are two parts to being healthy- what you eat, and being active. The first step I decided to take, was changing my diet. I use the word "diet" lightly though, because I really just mean enhancing my current lifestyle to something a bit healthier and not just some crazy fad diet I'll be doing for two weeks. One important thing that I kept coming across while researching healthier lifestyles, was that what you put into your mouth, accounts for 70% of any weight loss. Not that I'm trying to lose weight but I think that goes for being healthy and fit as well. 70% off the fight, is what you eat. 

I didn't want the change to be too drastic, I wasn't about to set any unrealistic expectations because we all know how that goes! So I ultimately decided on going "raw" until 4 o'clock in the afternoon and then eating a healthy, cooked dinner. I eat smoothies for breakfast and eat a pretty healthy dinner anyways (when I cook it, that is) so all I had to do was incorporate a fully raw lunch as well as make sure to actually cook every night and I was good to go! Also, I was going to try and go vegan 6 out of 7 days a week. I used to be fully vegetarian (until the holidays rolled around.....) so not eating meat wasn't going to be a huge deal. However, it's the cheese that really gets me. So I gave myself one day out of the week to kind of give myself a break ;)

In my search for inspiration, I found two amazing ladies that really spoke to me:

This lovely chica is from Houston and has the biggest food coop in the nation! She's pretty inspiring and just a beautiful person.


And this is Freelee the Banana Girl! I don't know why but I am so fascinated by her.... maybe it's those abs... I just can't stop staring, haha! But really, she seems like a very cool person. I enjoy watching her videos and soaking up all of the knowledge she has to share!


Also, I want to mention the 80/10/10 diet. It's what most raw vegans abide by to make sure they are eating what their body needs and getting in enough nutrition. Basically you eat 80% carbohydrates, 10% fat, and 10% protein. This is what I've been trying to stick with for my overall diet. I got an account on Cron-O-Meter for free and use it to track what I eat and make sure I get enough of what my body needs! I'll leave a video below, explaining it better by an actual Doctor (: 

So I've been doing fairly well. I'm not 100% there (especially with the vegan part) but it's a work in progress, right? I'm trying to not be too hard on myself and taking it one day at a time. I've been really paying attention to how my body feels when I eat certain foods and whenever I stray from my new "diet", I definitely pay for it! Superbowl Sunday was one of my "f*** it" days and after bingeing on queso and pizza, I felt awful. So in a way, they're kind of like reminder days. After I eat a bunch of terrible food, my body freaks out, I feel horrible, and then remember why I eat good for the other 6 days!! And when I do stick to eating healthy foods, I just feel amazing.

This diet has made me really connect with my body more and now, I can tell what I need to eat and when I need to eat which is a great feeling. Plus, I get to eat a ton! Which is fantastic because I love to eat! Of course, it takes a little while to get used to, but it's all a part of learning. I have been feeling so much better lately both physically as well as mentally and I'm ready to make this a permanent change so I can feel this amazing every day!