Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Quick Veggie Enchiladas (For four)

Did you guys know that I'm obsessed with enchiladas? You probably knew that by now huh..... I'm not going to lie, I am always craving enchiladas. But soooooometimes, I don't always have the time to make them from scratch. So instead of making myself suffer until I can find the time, I came up with a recipe that is still somewhat healthy and vegetarian, but only takes about 30-40 minutes! Which is short. For me.
IMG_9532 copy

Ingredients 
1/2 cups frozen corn
1/2 can black beans (drained well)
8-10 flour (or corn) tortillas
1/2 onion (yellow or purple)
1 orange bell pepper
1-2 cups chopped spinach
2-3 green onions
½ tbsp oregano
1 bag of monterrey jack cheese
1-2 avocados (optional)
black olives
1-2 tbs cooking oil 

For sauce: 
1 jar/can of enchilada sauce 
Or make your own- 
15 oz can of tomato sauce
6 oz. can tomato paste (optional if you like it thick)
5-6 tbs chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cocoa powder
¼-1  tsp cayenne pepper

1. Chop up your onion and bell pepper.

2. Saute in oil until soft.
6. Add corn, beans, green onions, spinach, and oregano. Cook for about 5-10 more minutes.
7. Remove from heat.
8. If you are making your own sauce, mix ingredients together in a bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. 
9. Now you can start putting your enchilada together. Start with a 9 x 9 glass dish. You can either make regular enchiladas or make a casserole type dish. Here is how to do both: 

For the casserole, this is the order I suggest- 4 tortillas, half casserole mix,  spinach, half of enchilada sauce, cheese, 4 tortillas, other half of casserole mix, other half of enchilada sauce, cheese, black olives. 

And here's how to make individual enchiladas- First, I like to put a little enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan too before I put the enchiladas in. Then I take a tortilla, scoop in the veggie mix (about 4 tbs worth) along with a little shredded Monterrey jack, roll it up, and place it seam down in the pan. Once you are done filling your pan with enchiladas, top with remaining sauce, cheese, and black olives.

11. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes and then if you’d like, dice up some avocado and put on top for the last 10 minutes of baking.

IMG_9147

And just in case you didn't believe me, here are all the other enchilada recipes I've done:
Enchilada Casserole
Ricotta Enchilada Casserole
Corn, Ricotta, and Arugula Enchiladas
Vegetarian Enchiladas W/Avocado & Hatch Chile Sauce
White Chicken Enchiladas
Vegetarian White Enchiladas

And now I'm hungry. For enchiladas.... Am I the only one that craves them?! Please tell me I'm not alone!!