Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Few Things: Money & Self Worth

Something I've discovered while working with my money issues is the issues I have with self-confidence and self-worth. Especially when it comes to my business which is essentially how I make money. I finally decided to invest in myself and signed up for some business training that I really resonate with and that I believe will help me to grow as a person as well as a business doing gal! So I'm pretty excited about that. If ya'll haven't heard about the Amazing Biz & Life Academy created by Leonie Dawson, I highly, highly recommend it. It's incredible.

But anyways, it's led me on this journey that's made me really look at the things that I can improve to make my business become more successful. And combined with the manifestation experiment and all my money resistances, I've discovered that my problems really just boil down to my thoughts (and/or guilt) around earning money and self-worth. I've heard that it's a common problem with artists and entrepreneurs, especially when they are setting out to help others. With selling clothes, a big part of my motivation was being eco-friendly but it's easy to sell clothes without feeling guilty. Plus most of them were only vintage. But these handmade things, the things that I make, they are just really hard for me. It's not the letting go of them that is the problem, it's the being able to be a salesman and having to charge and ultimately put a price on my time and skills and gifts I want to give to others. If I didn't have to pay the bills, I would loooove to give away my stuff for free but you know, a girl's gotta make a living and without my confidence and sense of self-worth, it's been really hard to price my goods to accurately reflect everything I put into them. Guys, I spend hours, HOURS, researching, and creating, and experimenting, and testing. I put so much into my products and then sell them for $5 a pop when it costs me $3 to make and I only make $2? I'd have to sell 5 of those just to make $10!! Uggh. But in my mind, I have to compete with factory made products and products laden with chemicals and harmful ingredients. So how could I possibly charge the amount I need to, to be able to sustain myself? Why would people want to buy a $20 bottle of bath soak?

I've been called to write an ebook. It's really just something I need in my life find out how to get past all of this. And once I'm done (when the book is finished and I have hopefully resolved my problems), I want to pass it on so that it will help others as well. But my point is, right now I'm trying to break down my resistances to money, to love myself, believe in myself again, and ultimately to believe in my business and be 100% confident again in what my mission is, what I'm doing, how I can/want to help people, and what my passion is so that I can get the abundance flowing again! 

I've been working on some branding and the look/feel/visual aspects of my store, trying to fine tune some of the details like packaging and production costs. Something I've decided (with the help of Leonie) is that, in order to be able to sustain myself, I just really need to raise the prices of my goods. This will reflect the amount of work and love and passion I put into my products and she explains it (well actually I think it's someone else explaining it to her) perfectly here: 

“You must charge for your art. In everything – everything – there needs to be an exchange of energy. An equal one. One that fills me up. One that fills you up. If I give you a massage that nourishes and sustains and relaxes you, I ask you for money to nourish and sustain my life too. We must both be involved in the exchange, otherwise it is one sided. We must both be invested, so we both receive value. If I do not allow you to pay money for my service, I do a disservice to myself, but also to you. You must contribute too, in order to be fulfilled. You will value the things you pay for more. And my life will be better because I have helped your life be better. And your life will be better, because you have helped my life be better too. Everything – everything - must be an equal exchange of energy. It is sacred. Money is the manifestation of energy. Money is sacred too.” 
http://leoniedawson.com/abundant-goddess-sacred-pricing/



So guys, if you want to get a good deal you better do it now! Because I'm about to raise the prices and only you will get the heads up (:

Also, I'll hopefully be listing some more things online in the next week so I'll be back then with a store update!