Friday, September 13, 2013

Vegetarian Hatch Chile Sloppy Joes

Another hatch chile recipe! And I'm not done yet, not even close (: 
IMG_9577
I've been wanting to experiment with vegetarian sloppy joes for a while but whenever I approached Brandon about it, he only mentioned his dislike for them all together. And so my I forgot about it.... But when I saw this recipe for Hatch Chile Sloppy Joes, I decided I had to give it a try... and Brandon would just have to suck it up for a night! The sloppy joes turned out wonderful and delicious. I think Brandon may have even liked them! 
IMG_9578

Here's how I did it: 

Ingredients: 
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper
1 can chickpeas 
1 can black beans
6 oz tomato paste
1 15 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes 
3/4 cup vegetable stock
3/4 cup diced fire-roasted Hatch Green Chiles
3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder 
2 teaspoons oregano 
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
freshly ground black pepper 
sea salt

1. In a large saucepan, saute the garlic, onion, and bell pepper in olive oil for about 5 minutes. 
2. While that's cooking, pour chickpeas into a bowl and mash until desired consistency. Add the black beans and mash together. I left the chickpeas pretty whole but next time I'd like to mash them more. It's up to you thought how much you want to crush them. 
3. Add the beans and remaining ingredients to saucepan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes, until thickened. Serve on buns with a slice of cheese, hatch chiles, and sriracha! 

IMG_9586

Note: You can add the chiles to the sloppy joe mix but for Eliza's sake, we left them out. You can also add the sriracha to the mix and bump up the amount of chili powder and cayenne for some more heat. Next time Eliza is gone, I'll probably try that! 

This recipe was inspired by: Coconut and Lime and Keepin' it Kind

IMG_5162 copy