Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Few Things: What Does Blogging Mean To Me?

Last week I had a meeting with someone to talk about business/website stuff. She was asking me about my different websites and ways she was interested in marketing. In our talk about websites, I suggested blogging to get out different ideas. And to my surprise, she said that she really did not like blogs. In her opinion they were too long, boring, and most of the time, an unreliable source of information. As a blogger myself, I tried to remain objective and had to agree that sometimes blogs can be just that. But not in my blogging world. I told her that I actually had a blog but that I totally understood where she was coming from, blogging/reading blogs is definitely not for everyone. 

When I came home from my meeting, I couldn't help but think about what she might have been talking about. What kind of blogs was she reading? And why did they lead her to think of them in that way? Because that's probably the opposite of how I feel about blogging. Am I just exposed to/choose to follow blogs that are different from the ones she reads? What does blogging mean to me? 

I started blogging back in 2010, gosh has it been that long already? It was about 6 months after I had Eliza, 6 months of just hanging around my house trying to think up crafts to keep me busy. As I jumped from one project to another, I decided to start a blog to document all my ideas and activities. So that was my first reason and I think the other reason I started a blog was because I was yearning for some community. Some form of connection with people that I could relate to. At 18 years old, I was a stay at home mom with no one to talk to but so much to get out. For me, it was a form of expression and a way to communicate, to bond with someone that had just the tiniest idea of what I was going through. 

3 years later and so much has changed.... but only kind of. I've grown so much since then but at the same time, I'm still mostly... just me. I do have more love and confidence in myself and have kind of figured out where I am going in life. I would like to think I have improved my design and photography capabilities and maybe my writing as well, thanks to this blog. And in a way, this blog was kind of my inspiration to start my own store. It gave me the courage to really put myself out there (even more than I was) to try and pursue my passions. And through it all, I've had this support system. My awesome followers, from all over the world that can relate and understand and encourage. This blog has given me so much even though I am... just me. 

I don't earn anything most of the time, maybe a few dollars a month and yet I spend hours writing posts, taking pictures, sharing my our life. I have hundreds, almost thousands of entries documenting my life over the past three years. And I've got a few hundred followers, which isn't much compared to other larger blogs but is so so humbling. Just to think, all of those people want to log onto the internet to check out what I've been writing about? Seriously, that's an honor. 

After all these year, I've learned countless lessons. I've grown, I've been inspired, I've dreamed, and I've held strong. And I'm so glad I have this blog as a constant reminder of that. I'm not perfect and I know you all don't expect me to be (well at least I hope not!). I'm just glad you guys get to join me in this journey of learning and making mistakes. Life is quite the adventure and I'm glad I get to share it with all of you! 

So what does blogging mean to me? It means community, inspiration, remembrance, a sense of accomplishment, celebration, belonging, and support. 


What does blogging mean to you? 


IMG_5162 copy