Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tiny Home: Our Trailer!

We got our trailer guys! 
IMG_8401
(Brandon and his dad, can you tell?)

Now that we have our trailer, it's go time ya'll! Thinking/planning/designing our tiny home is pretty much all I've been doing lately. I literally spent 13 hours the other day hunched over at our kitchen table drawing up designs and researching how to build a house. All the sudden it was 1 in the morning and my neck was on fire! It's kind of a problem.... but I just love it. I love researching, I've got a whole binder full of home building info divided by little tabs. It's great. I'm kind of obsessed. Which is a good thing I think, I'd rather be as informed as possible. I mean, building a house is no easy feat. Right? Right.

I plan on documenting every step of the designing/building process so get ready for a bunch of tiny home posts!
IMG_8410
IMG_8412 IMG_8399
We ended up getting a 24' x 83" trailer custom made from Texas Trailer Supply. The people there were really nice and we got a pretty good deal. With new tires, the sides taken off, and brakes it came out to be $2700 (tax included). Brandon went up with his mom and dad to pick it up. I guess his dad had some trailer driving experience and helped to back it up into this space. 
IMG_8415 copy
We also got the free wood you can see in the pictures from a guy building a garage apartment! I have a plumber friend that was working with him and when he saw that they were throwing all this wood out, he asked us if we wanted it! It's barely used but a little dirty. We still need to clean and de-nail it but I think it's about $100-$150 worth of wood. Good deal! 

We have the trailer parked at my mother-in-laws house. She's got about an acre of land so it's the perfect spot! Unfortunately it's a bit far away (like an hour and a half) so that's a bit difficult. But we're all really excited! 

I think that's all for now. I've got another post coming with the windows and doors we got as well as our designs for the whole thing! Hopefully in the next week we'll get most of our lumber and start the floor frame.

P.S. Have you guys followed our Facebook page yet? 

IMG_5162 copy