Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Meditation

buddha-meditation-pose source

Something I've been trying to incorporate into my day is meditation! When I do manage to steal some time away for myself, I can definitely sense an improvement in my mood and just my general ability to flow more gracefully through my day. For me, meditation is a way to connect not only with myself but to the world around me. To really stop and be present. It brings me to a place of peace and helps me to become more focused so that whatever else I decide to do with my day, I can give it 100%. 

I like to stretch first, this gets me into the zone of focusing inward. Like this article says, "Stretching loosens the muscles and tendons allowing you to sit (or lie) more comfortably. Additionally, stretching starts the process of “going inward” and brings added attention to the body."

When I feel totally relaxed and ready to be still, I find a comfortable position. This can vary but usually I like to either sit up (like the typical meditation stance) or lay down. Then I focus on my breathing, focus on my body, and quiet my mind. And all that meditation jazz. 

I think the most important thing here is to give yourself some slack. If your mind wanders, let it. Then let the thoughts drift away easily and return to your meditation. I also like to do chakra meditation sometimes, especially if I'm feeling any type of physical pain. This helps me to clear any blockages of flow/energy I have in my body and allows my spirit to better connect with my physical body. Because an interruption in this connection is what causes dis-ease, right? 

Here is a great article to read up on meditation- Meditation for Beginners: 20 Tips for Quieting the Mind
And also- Meditation Techniques for Beginners by Deepak Chopra

Also, I don't know if I've mentioned it on the blog but a few friends of mine run a radio show called The Ridiculous Hour. I've been listening through the archives a lot lately and took note of some meditations they do during the show. Here are a few: 

The Ridiculous Hour with Rico & WendyYoung 1:31:45 
The Ridiculous Hour with Doc Mojo & Aria 1:30
The Ridiculous Hour with Teal Scott 'The Spiritual Catalyst' & Aria with Material Ease 0:01

Do you guys meditate? I am just a beginner but am loving it so far! Do you have any tips for me? 
IMG_5162 copy