Saturday, March 9, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers

I think this recipe came about when I wanted to make a sandwich or taco but wanted to use something that didn't have gluten. So I thought and thought about what to put all the ingredients in. And bam! Bell peppers! I used this recipe as a starter and just improvised with what I had on hand.
IMG_4510
For this one, I used half an onion, about 1/4 of a bell pepper that I found in the fridge, some artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, brown rice, and sunflower seeds. First, you saute any veggies that need it like the onions and bell peppers. Then add in the rice to fry a little and then add the other ingredients that don't need much cooking like the artichoke, sun-dried tomatoes, jalapenos, and sunflower seeds. After cooking for a few minutes, you can add some seasoning like garlic salt, dry seasonings, soy sauce, or honey. I think I added a little of soy sauce and honey in this one. 
IMG_4512 copy IMG_4521
Cut your bell peppers in half, cut out the stems and seeds, and then top with the stuffing and a little cream cheese (my homemade kind) or goat cheese. 
IMG_4524
Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. 
IMG_4527 IMG_4533
There are many ways to do this. You can do quinoa instead of rice, add in grape/cherry tomatoes or some greens like spinach or chard. You can do it without the jalapenos, I like the spice it give or use a different kind of nut such as pistachio or cashew! And I suppose you don't have to top it with anything either. You can make it however you like!!! 
IMG_5162 copy