Monday, March 4, 2013

Samwich: Jalapeno, Cheddar & Veggies

New feature alert!! It's called Samwich. Like sandwich but sammmmwich. 

Get it?!

Because my name is Sam.... 
IMG_4860

Aaaaaaanyways, here's a little history:

I LOVE sandwiches. They're so easy and convenient. Back when I ate a bunch meat, I would just load up my sandwiches with whatever meat we had, slap on some cheese, a condiment or two, and mayyyybe a veggie (but don't count on it!). Well whenever we decided to cut meat out of our diets, sandwiches seemed impossible. I was completely at a loss. I mean, what are you supposed to do without meat! Right? Or so I thought. 

Since then I have done a little experimenting and have found that my sandwiches are now loaded with all kinds of healthy stuff and more delicious than ever!! Now I love sandwiches all over again! 

As a beginner vegetarian, it can be a bit daunting to make things that were previously made mostly of meat. So I thought I'd share my delicious creations to give you a little inspiration for your sandwiches! It is possible to make a awesomely delicious sandwich without meat!! And boy am I happy about that!

My first is this yummy, delicious, Jalapeno, Cheddar, & Veggie Samwich

IMG_4850

For the bread, I used a Jalapeno & Cheddar bread. Since I don't have to spend money on meat, I like to get fun and yummy breads to add more flavor! This one is a favorite. 

For a little moisture, I spread on some of my homemade cream cheese (see below)  

And for the veggies, I loaded it up with some bell peppers, avocado (I like to mash mine), spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and a little Hawaiian sea salt that we just got.
IMG_4847
(obsessed)

IMG_4857
Mmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And here's how to make some Homemade Cream Cheese:

When I was making my saurkraut, I had to make some whey for the lacto fermenting. I followed this tutorial on separating whey from plain yogurt (so so simple). Once you have separated the whey from the yogurt, what you have left is "cream cheese". It's kind of tart and bitter so from there, I mixed in some garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and honey (for the tart-ness). You can get really creative with the spices but I do suggest at least the honey because it's pretty sour at first! This is a fun and easy task. You can use it on sandwiches, as a dip, and use it as a topping when you bake things like these stuffed bell peppers. Yummm.
IMG_5162 copy