Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pickled Jalapenos

Ahhh, these turned out so good. Seriously, I don't think I'll be buying store-bought jalapenos ever again. So this was my second canning experience and only one out of three jars came out "sealed". *sad face* But I think it's because I packed them too tight. Welllll next time, I'll know what not to do! The jalapenos turned out excellent though. I just stuck the not-sealed jars into the fridge and now they are almost all gone! Also, these are the jalapenos I used in my stuffed bell pepper recipe. Mmmmm.
IMG_4485
I got the recipe from Solid Gold Eats, modified slightly to use what I had

Ingredients:
20 jalapenos, sliced with seeds in (I only used 8 becuase the ones I got were HUGE)
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
2 Tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp black peppercorns
2 tsp allspice
2 tsp coriander seed (I used ground coriander)

1. Sterilize your jars by boiling them in water for 5 minutes.  
2. While you're doing that, combine your vinegar, water, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to boil. Set aside.
3. Once your jars have been sterilized, remove them from water, dumping the water out from inside.
 4. Distribute the peppercorns, allspice, and coriander evenly between the sterilized jars. 
5. Pack your jalapenos into the jar as tightly as you can. Make sure they are below the rim of the jar though because I had a minor issue trying to seal them.  
6. Pour brine over the top leaving at least a 1/2" of headspace.  
7. Seal jars with two piece lid and process for ten minutes.  
8. Let them marinate for a week and then eat them! 

Tip: The longer you let them sit, the less spicy they will be. I ate some right at a week and they were still HOT! 
In other news, I tried to make this ketchup but it didn't turn out so well? It's the second ketchup failure and I'm starting to give up hope on that. Have you guys made homemade ketchup before??? I'd love some tips if you had any!!
IMG_5162 copy