Friday, March 22, 2013

Easy Vegetarian Stir Fry

Stir fry is one of my favorite meals to cook. I think the way it was created was people would cook up some rice and throw in the leftovers from the meal before. Genius! This is a great way to use up vegetables or if you're like me and always have some of these on hand, it's an easy meal that you can throw together on a lazy night. 

IMG_5311

The ingredients are pretty simple. All you need is some veggies, rice, and a few condiments. This is what we used this time around. 

Ingredients
Onion 
Peas 
Corn 
Bell Peppers 
Broccoli 
Celery 
Mushrooms
Sunflower seeds (you can also use peanuts or cashews)
Rice 
Vegetable Oil 
Soy Sauce 
Honey  

IMG_5309
First, start your rice. I used brown rice so I measure out 2 parts water to 1 part rice. Bring to a boil and let simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes. Then cover and turn off heat. Let sit for another 10 minutes. If using white rice, I suggest cooking it an hour before and let it cool in the fridge so that it doesn't get mushy when you mix it with everything else. 
IMG_5303
Next, saute your veggies in some vegetable oil. If you're using onions, I suggest doing those first to soften them up a bit before adding everything else. 
IMG_5311 copy
Next, add in your rice. Let it fry a little bit and then add in your condiments. I usually put in some soy sauce (add to taste), and a little honey. You can also add rice vinegar, sesame oil, or apple cider vinegar. 
IMG_5327

And enjoy! Do you guys make stir fry? What is your favorite thing to put in it??

IMG_5162 copy