Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Book Report: Living The Simple Life

IMG_5256 Living the Simple Life by Elaine St. James 

This was a lovely and peaceful read. It definitely provided some great insight on ways to simplify my life. 

Living at my dad's has proven to be a little overwhelming and stressful at times so this book has been helping me a lot. Sometimes I just have to remember not to overextend myself, keep realistic expectations, and most of all, keep things simple. Living here has it's challenges but there are definitely things I can do to simplify and make my life a whole lot easier. 

Here are a few quotes from the book: 

"We had many of the trappings of the modern lifestyle, but we didn't have the time, and sometimes not even the energy, to enjoy them. And even worse, we had little time for each other, and practically no time for ourselves." pg 5

"...simplifying means taking one or two or a combination of steps to reduce the stress that has become a permanent fixture in our lives." pg. 23 

And one about clothes that I can relate to: 

"Now that I understand my silhouette and know what pieces I need to make it work for me, I can avoid the impulse shopping which contributes to corporate profits but seldom does anything positive for my wardrobe." Pg. 330 

Here are some other things it talks about in the book: 
Make a list of goals/things important in your life 
Simplifying your job
 How to deal with people that don't understand
How to get rid of stuff
Ways to change consumer habits 
Simple ways to pay bills and deal with finances
Simple parenting ideas like monitoring TV viewing, having kids do chores, and setting limits for parents/grandparents when it comes to gifts.

If simplifying your life is something you might be interested in, I highly suggest this book. With the way most people live their lives today, I think we could all use some simplifying. Sometimes we get so busy that we forget how to just enjoy life!! 

Also, I found this blog post about simplifying and this book if you're up for reading it. 

So what do you think? Have you read this book? Any book suggestions for me? 

IMG_5162 copy