Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Book of the Month: Radical Homemakers

Another new feature?! Ahhh yes! One of the goals I've set for myself since living at my dad's house is to complete reading at least one book every month. I NEVER made time to read before and it just didn't happen. So sad. But I feel some major changes coming on and am looking to books to learn more. 

I will be doing a post each month on the book(s) I read, starting off with probably the best, most inspiring book I've ever read. I had been hearing about it all over the blogosphere and when I realized it was at my local library, I just had to get my hands on it! 

radical-homemakers
source

Gosh, this book was so exhilarating to read and talked a lot about things I have been thinking about. To sum it up, the book focuses on reclaiming domesticity. It talks about revolving life more around the home, rejecting the consumer culture, and becoming more self-sustaining. Not only does it give some excellent points on why this is important, but it also gives you examples of how different people are achieving "homemaker" status in today's modern times. A great read if this is your thing. Here are some quotes from the book to get you interested:

pg. 43
Theologian Thomas Berry noted that western civilization has appropriated human reality and value to life outside the home.

pg. 50
"to believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest" -Ghandhi

pg. 120
"money is simply, an accounting chit created out of nothing..."

pg. 104
Individualism and the unknitting of community have led to a breakdown in our ability to work effectively with our community’s resources. In fact, every dollar that is spent locally has three times the economic impact of one that is given to an absentee retailer whose headquarters are located far away from the community.

pg. 105
But thwarting the home wreckers will take more than sitting down to a meal with the family or meeting the neighbors. It means letting go of our attachments to employment, releasing ourselves from the pressure of the status race, and allowing ourselves to become reacquainted with the landscapes, both natural and social, that support us. It means spending more time thinking about what we can do, rather than what we can acquire.
Our society is riddled with myths to suggest that anyone who forgoes a conventional career track and devotes themselves to sustainable home and community life is merely squandering their life.
A homemaker’s primary job is not to be a consumer.


Have you guys read this book? Any suggestions on books I should read? 
IMG_5162 copy