Friday, February 1, 2013

Camping: Enchanted Rock

Camping. It was magical. And just what we needed. 

Brandon had two weeks off after Christmas which was just amazing. The first we spent as much time seeing/visiting friends before everyone went off their separate ways. And then the second week was actually the week we started school. We had been planning on going camping but it wasn't until the end of the first week that we realized we only had a few days to make it happen!! We both started school on Tuesday of the second week so on Friday we planned our two day camping trip which would be Sunday and Monday. We really squeezed it in there!! 

Saturday we gathered all our supplies and Sunday we left at about 5 in the morning. We arrived at Enchanted Rock at about 10. We checked in, picked out a spot, and set up camp!
IMG_3280 IMG_3282
 Then we set out for the most amazing hike ever. It wasn't really what I expected, although I didn't have many expectations. But I certainly didn't picture us climbing over these humongous rocks, like serious mountain climbers! It got pretty intense.
IMG_3285 IMG_3287
I love this one ^^ It's like the typical "Ahhhg, Dad! Leave me alone, you're embarrassing meeeee!" 
IMG_3316 IMG_3318 IMG_3335 IMG_3343 IMG_3344 IMG_3358 1
I love all of her faces. 

We had a little picnic by the "lake".... it was definitely more of a pond. Pretty, nonetheless. 
IMG_3374IMG_3400 IMG_3420 IMG_3423 IMG_3424

Then we paved our own way back through the rocky hill between us and the camp. Now THAT was an adventure. I would be lying if I said I never got a little worried during that part. It got a kind of scary. I carried Eliza in the baby carrier most of the way back but there were some parts where Brandon had to climb down ahead of us and I would have to hand her down (because it was too dangerous to do with a baby on my back). But we saw some pretty birds and even a family of deer!! There were six of them and they were within only like 30 feet in front of us. I think they were just as curious about us as we were of them because each one paused and stared at us for a moment before continuing on. It was incredible. 

IMG_3437 IMG_3441 IMG_3442 IMG_3460 IMG_3468
We climbed down that!! 
IMG_3489
When we made it back to camp we got our fire going, ate some veggie dogs, and got ready for the nightfall. IT WAS COLD. Like literally freezing, definitely in the 30's (fahrenheit). It was one of those nights where we put on all the clothes we brought with us. ALL OF THEM. 
IMG_3493 IMG_3498 1 IMG_3510
Brandon made this torch and had a little too much fun with it! 
IMG_3533

After it got dark, we went on another little adventure. We followed this little path near our camp and found a big slab of rock to lay on and gaze at the starts. I actually saw a shooting star too! 

When we got back, we sat by the fire and Eliza fell asleep in my arms. Then Brandon and I spoiled ourselves with some delicious s'mores. I mean, you can't go camping without s'mores, right?! 

Sleeping... umm that didn't happen all too well. I think the only one that got a decent night's sleep was Eliza. She was OUT. Brandon and I tossed and turned and tried to huddle together to stay warm. I may have slept a little? 

When morning came, Eliza and I woke up and got the fire going (I was pretty proud of that!). We made oatmeal over the fire and ate breakfast in our sleeping bags. 

We managed to squeeze in one more mini hike.
IMG_3563 IMG_3567 IMG_3579 IMG_3578
After that, we packed up and headed to....
IMG_3597 1

Longhorn Caverns!! 
IMG_3602
(see the bats?!)

We went on a sweet cave tour and Eliza fell asleep. Thank goodness I brought that baby carrier!!
IMG_3615 IMG_3616

And that was that. We went home and got ready for school the next day. 

I, for one, was so glad we went on that trip. We literally squeezed it in the last day before school started. It was the perfect way to end our break.

I'm hoping to plan one more before summer comes. Hopefully though, not in freezing weather... One things for sure, we'll definitely be a little more prepared for the weather next time. And bring extra blankets... lots.


Yay camping!!
IMG_5162 copy