Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Few Things: Your Role

So I'm taking this fitness walking class. Basically I power walk for 40 minutes, staying in my "target" heart rate zone, and have all that time to enjoy the outdoors and think about things. 
 
A few days ago, I was walking outside, watching some butterflies flitter across a field of grass. I thought about how the day just before that, I was driving and a butterfly flew right in front of my car and most likely got killed. I hate when that happens, butterflies are just so pretty. It's a sad thing, you know? And then I thought about time travel and how killing a butterfly can have such an effect on the future. You know, that cliche sequence of events that changes life forever? Well what if you killing a butterfly could have that kind of effect on the future? Would it be a good effect or a bad effect? How do the things we do (big or small) effect what life is going to be like in the future? What life will be like for our children, our grandchildren. And it really made me think, what is my purpose? What kind of change do I want to have on the world? What effect do I want to have on the future?
 
Brandon explained to me a couple of weeks ago that he doesn't believe in heaven or hell. (not sure I do either). He was telling me that his way of believing we live forever is through our children. And I absolutely believe that. Ultimately, that is what we are here for. To reproduce and grow and maybe to adapt and make better things than our parents before us and then we die.
 
I started thinking, what do I want for my life. What kind of impact do I want to have on the world? There are so many petty things you can do in your life, so many dumb things to worry about. What is your sole purpose for life? After all is said and done, what do you want your legacy to be? If you can leave the world doing some kind of good, what would it be?
 
And I truly believe that my goal is to be as eco-friendly as possible. To live sustainably, to try and reverse the effect we have had on the earth. I want to leave this planet better off than I came in, to have a positive impact rather than a negative one. I accomplish this through the products we buy, the activities we take part in, our lifestyle, recycling, my business. It's my life. That is what I want my life's purpose to be. 
 
In the end, what will you have to say for yourself? Will you be proud of your accomplishments? In a hundred years, will they matter? I want to give back to this earth that we have abused. I want my children and grandchildren to be able to enjoy it as I did. I want to teach them how to appreciate her. We wouldn't be here without the earth and all it has to offer us. I think it is about time we remember that and try to treat it with respect instead of abuse. We've forgotten how to do that and I want my legacy to return to that mode of thinking. We are simply animals living here, we do not own anything, the earth is a gift and not something to take for granted. So that is my goal, that is my purpose of life. That is what I want to spend my time here doing and that is what I will revolve my life around. Of course, I will do other things and not every single action will be dedicated to that (I want to have fun too!) but overall, I want to spend my life giving back to our planet because she has given me so much. 

What kind of footprint will you leave? What will you do for the world?
 
IMG_5162 copy