Saturday, September 1, 2012

Vegetarian Lasagna

IMG_8541 copy
Who doesn't love a good lasagna? I know I do but I think being part Italian, I don't have much of a choice! The best thing about lasagna is that you can make one that'll last you dayssss (we've been eating ours for three!) and it gets better and better each time! I'm not sure lasagna is the most healthy thing... so I decided to take out the meat and add in a few veggies. I kind of used a combination of this recipe and this recipe. Like I said, we have been eating this the last three days (lunch and dinner) so if you only have a few people eating this, I suggest cutting the recipe in half. You could freeze it but I'm not sure how well it would fare with the zucchini and mushrooms. Sooo, freeze at your own risk! 
Ingredients
8-16 oz. mushrooms (sliced)
1 jar of marinara 
A box of lasagna noodles 
8 oz. sour cream 
16 oz. frozen chopped spinach 
15 oz. ricotta 
1-2 large zucchini 
1 package of mozzarella cheese 
1/2 cup mayo (you could possibly even leave this out)
Parm for dressing
IMG_8433
1. Cook spinach and lasagna noodles according to package
IMG_8434
2. Mix ricotta, mayo, sour cream, spinach, some garlic salt (or real garlic!) and any italian seasoning you wish to add. 
IMG_8438
3. Saute zucchini and mushrooms until mushrooms get soft. You can cook these together but since I used my small cast iron pan, I had to cook them separately. 
IMG_8445 copy
4. Start layering in a 9x12 glass cooking dish. 
Suggested order: noodles, spinach/ricotta, veggies, sauce, cheese. You don't have to layer it like this but make sure that the last two layers are sauce and cheese. And preferably, the first being noodles. 
IMG_8435
IMG_8436
IMG_8440 IMG_8443 IMG_8439
Loosely cover with foil and bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes, let cool 15 minutes 
IMG_8544
Serve with freshly grated parmesan on top. 

I LOVE this. Despite being a little burnt out on lasagna right this second, this recipe is definitely a keeper. And I have to say, I don't miss the meat one little bit.
IMG_5162 copy