Monday, September 17, 2012

Natural Makeup

   Two weeks ago I did a post about the dangers of beauty/bathroom products. And as promised, this is going to be a whole post on natural, organic makeup! There are lot's of great, safe, and eco-friendly makeup choices out there, you just have to do your research. Here are a few things I've found over the past few months to give you some ideas:  

Skinbotanica- a great resource for finding natural & organic beauty products
Stila Glamoureyes Mascara
Becca The Ultimate Mascara
Becca Beach Tint- for cheeks and lips
Becca Showgirl Pallette
Becca Avalon Pallette
Becca Eye Tint
Jane Iredale Eye Shadow Kit
Dr. Hauschka Liquid Eyeliner
Stilla Eyeshadow Trio
Some products I'm currently using:
Elf Mineral Eyeshadow- I found this at Target and am really pleased with them. I've never used a loose powder eye shadow before but I'm really liking it. I think the one I use it a dark purple color. 
Physicians Formula Organic Mascara- This I found at Wal-Mart and I am so glad I did! Mascara is known to have lots of bad stuff in it so this was the first thing I switched over. 

Now, the second part here is going to be about this AMAZING company that my friend told me about- Lush. I went to the store and just fell in love. I didn't ever want to leave!! They have a really cool concept for the makeup, Emotional Brilliance, where you play this little game
window-2-en
You choose colors that you are drawn to and it describes a little aspect about you. Here's what I got: 

DRIVE is your strength today and it is also your most admirable quality. You are strong because of the ability you have to drive projects and people around you into action. You are moving forward and compelling everyone and everything else to do the same. This is only perceived as a weakness when others around you are not guided by the same energy to push on. For you however, your ability to drive is a shining strength.
What is GLAMOROUS ? Well it is whatever you want it to be, and whatever you want it to be you can do it. It is not necessarily about your look or about your style but how you feel, which is far more important. Wear this lipstick and feel the glamour radiate from you, and if others don’t like it then that is their weakness.

Use this talent to do what you love to do, or perhaps to be MOTIVATED to change something into what you love to do. Look at things from both sides, find the side you prefer and be MOTIVATED to make that into something you love. It is your talent after all so use it and reap the benefits.

It was really cool because the colors I chose are probably the opposite of what I'd wear on my face but the fact that they are kind of true to my personality is really cool. It's just a fun game (: 

They have tons of options for makeup but since I don't wear much makeup, I was more interested in a few other things. First, the deodorant. This is something else I've been wanting to switch over. Antiperspirants contain aluminum which clogs your pores to make you sweat less. I just don't like the idea of that but finding a natural solution can be tough. This is what Lush has to say about deodorant: 
Is it possible to make deodorants sexy? Perhaps. But we'd rather make them effective and there's something beautiful in that. We're meant to sweat to rid our body of toxins and to regulate our temperatures. Our deodorants won't stop you from sweating but they will help to balance perspiration and keep you smelling fresh. We think it's better to smell of lovely fruits and flowers than to smell of ... well, you know.

We are aluminum-free! No preservatives, no aluminum salts, and no propellants. Our alternative? We use sodium bicarbonate to absorb odors, and anti-microbial essential oils to keep you smelling sweet.

06233
Coconut Deodorant- This is what I'm currently trying out. It's a powder that you apply to your underarms. I'm not sure about it yet but I'll let you know!
00433
T'eo- This is something I'd also like to try, it's a bar that kills germs in your sweat that makes it stink. 

00679
And last, the thing I actually visited the store for, the henna hair dye (which I have yet to use). Here's what they said about it: 
Of all the many LUSH inventions, we always get the most questions about our Henna Hair Dyes. More than anything people want to know if we're crazy. Yes, we do want you to put this caca on your head and sit there for a few hours but you won't find natural, synthetic-free hair color like this anywhere else. Transform your locks with our henna and cocoa butter blocks for a finish with stunning color and glorious conditioning. Try it, you'll see.

I went with the Caca Maroon: 

Caca Marron is the perfect starter henna for anyone who's got their eye on Caca Rouge's vibrant red, but isn't quite brave enough to take the plunge just yet. Instead, it will ease you in gently with the perfect balance of daring red and a more modest rich brown all while softening, conditioning and adding glorious shine to your tresses. We take our signature cocoa butter base and blend the finest Persian black and red hennas in with ground coffee to darken the red of the henna and create a beautifully rich, traffic stopping shade

FEATURES

  • It goes both ways: Your hair will glow like red umber in the sun and shine a sultry auburn in the shade.
  • Stoop to conker: Our rich chestnut color to put you in the centre of attention.
  • You can claim it’s au naturel: 100% natural method of acquiring compliments and dazzling passers-by.
Also, some other things about Lush- they do a lot for charity and recycling. You can return all your Lush containers and they will recycle them and some are even used to make more of the containers. I think if you return a certain amount, you even get something for free?? And on every product, there is a sticker that tells you who made it (I think that's pretty cool!). I just think it's a great company overall and really can't wait to go back. 

Well that's all I have for makeup. I really don't wear much makeup, usually just eye makeup but I want to make sure what I do use is safe and healthy. So I hope this helps you guys! Do you guys have any favorite natural/organic makeups or body products??
IMG_5162 copy