Tuesday, September 11, 2012

DIY Car Freshener

IMG_9276 copy As much as I hate to admit it, our car kind of smells. Well, it used to. I think it was a combo of Eliza, us spilling things all the time, Brandon being sweaty after work, and then us getting a little lazy about car cleaning. I finally reached a point where I couldn't take it! It would get better for a bit but then mysteriously come back with full force (I think we might also have a water leak?) So I completely cleaned our car but the smell lingered. I tried a lot of different things and finally found a few that really helped. 
I started by sprinkling baking soda all over the carpet, to get out any odors that may be in there. After I let it sit for like a day, I vacuumed it all up. The smell was still faintly there so I got a little cream cheese container (empty), poked about 20 holes in the top and filled it with used coffee grinds. I stuck this under one of the car seats. Coffee soaks up odors so this helped even more! But the smell still wasn't quite gone. And then I made this little beaut. It is basically just a drawstring bag filled with coffee beans. The coffee is great because 1) it soaks up odors and 2) makes my car smell delicious! And if it gets hot, it smells even more! However, this is only a good thing if you like the smell of coffee. So be warned. I used this tutorial on how to make a simple drawstring bag. I'll show you the steps I took to make it, pretty basic. 
IMG_9226
I wanted a heart on the front so I cut out a heart and then lined the back with some lace. I originally planned to use the same red suede for the back but then decided to go with lace. 
IMG_9236
Cut some yarn for a little fringe and place it at the bottom with all the ends facing up. 
IMG_9240
Place your back on top of all of that. Sew around the sides and bottom. Leave a 2" gap from the top (one the sides). 
IMG_9245
Now, on the sides where you left the gap, fold your fabric in about 1/4 inch. 
IMG_9247
Now fold the top down about a 1/4 of an inch. 
IMG_9249
Sew top. Do this to the lace or back piece of fabric as well. 
IMG_9250
Now, fold down the top again but now about 1/2 an inch. This is the casing for your string. Sew. Do both fabric pieces. 
IMG_9252
Turn inside out!
IMG_9259
And take some more yarn and feed it through the casing to make the drawstring. I didn't take pictures of this part so go here to see how she strung it all together. 
IMG_9267 copy
Then, fill with coffee and tie up around your rearview mirror! 
IMG_9282
Here are some other helpful links I found for battling funky smells: 
Remove odors through ventilation system 
Using coffee grinds to deodorize and a few other tips
DIY baking soda air freshener
Homemade air freshener ideas
Using baking soda as a carpet deodorizer

This project was awesome because I spent 0 money! And now my car smells like Starbucks, yummm! 
IMG_5162 copy