Sunday, September 23, 2012

Asian Style Quinoa

IMG_9571 copy
Quinoa has quickly become a favorite around here. I thought I would share this awesome recipe I whipped up. It's got green onions, corn, and an asian style sweet sauce to go on it. Mmmm mmm. The sweet sauce was from this recipe but I changed it a bit.

Sauce: 
1-2 tbsp  green onions
1.5 tbsp sesame oil 
1/2 tbsp soy sauc 
1 tbsp rice vinegar 
1 tbsp honey
1-2 tbsp cilantro
a dash of salt and pepper

1. Combine ingredients in small bowl and let sit about 10 minutes to enhance flavor. I usually

Quinoa:
1-2 tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup quinoa (I added a little bulgar to ours too)
1/2 cup water
1- 1 1/2 cup corn
3 tbs green onion
Anything else you'd like to add- this is kind of like fried rice, I usually use whatever I have on hand. I think I also added some onion and garlic to this one. Also, some serrano peppers on mine only.

1. Make your quinoa according to the directions.
2. In a large sauce pan, add in your canola oil.
3. Toss in whatever veggies you want- corn, green onion, onion, garlic, etc.
4. Saute until onions are soft.
5. Then, when your quin0a is done (I usually cook mine for about 12 minutes), throw that in too.
6. Let cook for a few more minutes and add in the sweet sauce!
7. Mix it it up really well and give it a few minutes to cook in.
8. Remove from heat and serve!!

IMG_9575
I LOVE quinoa. It's so healthy and really simple to cook. I usually cook it like fried rice (saute veggies first, then throw the quinoa in to cook for a few minutes, and last add in whatever sauces/seasonings you like). I also like to mix it with some bulgar (like rice), it's pretty yum. You can add so many different things in it too, it's a great way to clear out the fridge. 
Here are some other ways to cook it: 
Quinoa with kale and roasted tomatoes 
Shrimp topped quinoa
Red quinoa with avocado, beans, and corn
Pesto quinoa with tomatoes and corn (a favorite)
IMG_8952 copy
This is like the pesto recipe above except it has cashews instead of tomatoes!!
Do you guys like quinoa? What do you put in yours? 
IMG_5162 copy