Sunday, July 29, 2012

Roasted Tomato Puree (freezer edition)

While alone last week, I stayed up making tomato sauce and jelly! It was nice to relax and cook without a baby to look after. And now I have some homemade sauce/jelly stocked up to use the next few months, can't beat that! I'm starting to learn about canning but I'm not quite there yet. So I'm starting off with freezer versions! This is really simple to make doesn't take much effort, just a bit of cooking time. Here's how I made Roasted Tomato Puree: 

Ingredients
13 Organic tomatoes 
Olive oil 
Salt 
Pepper 

First, rinse off your tomatoes and cut an "X" on one side. I think I did the bottom side. Then place them "X" side up in a baking dish. 
76
Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper if wanted.
Bake for 350 for about 40 minutes or until starting to turn brown. 
88
Allow to cool. Cut out centers...
600 89
And puree in blender.
93
I could only fit about 3 in my blender at a time which was perfect. 3 medium tomatoes makes about 2 cups which was just right for my 2-cup Platex containers! 
95 97 
I let mine sit in the fridge overnight and then froze them the next day. 
 
This would work great in my taco soup or enchilada casserole. I used one the other night to whip up a quick spaghetti sauce and boy was it good!!! Perfect for those hurried nights when you want something healthy but fast!

I've got about 4-5 containers and can't wait to see what I can make with them!! I'll definitely share when I come up with something good. 

I kind of combined recipes I found on the net. Here are some more sources for info on making tomato sauce/puree, 1 & 2
IMG_5162 copy

P.S. California is great so far! The weather has been incredible and so refreshing. It's crazy how much of a difference it can make, we just want to be outside all day! Well, I hope all of you are enjoying your weekend!