Thursday, July 19, 2012

DIY: Clothes Rack (Expensive Version)

IMG_6558
Materials: 
3/4 inch Galvanized steel pipe, 36" long ($12)
3/4 inch galvanized steel pipe, 10' long ($18) 
Note: For the 10' pipe, I got it cut in half at the store (just ask a guy, they'll do it for you) and threaded making two 5' pieces which will be the sides of your clothes rack. You could buy 5' nipples but it's way cheaper to buy a 10' pipe and get it cut in half (like a $10+ difference!). 
(2) 3/4 inch galvanized tee fitting ($5.5)
(2) 3/4 inch galvanized steel nipple, 4" long ($4.50)
(2) 3/4 inch galvanized steel floor flange ($14.50)
(2) 3/4 inch galvanized steel caps ($4.50)
(3) 1"x6"x8' ($6.40/each=$19.20)
1 1/4" screws (already had)
Optional: Stain, paint brush or rag, paper towels or rag 

Total cost: $78.20

Measurements of mine: 
20" wide, 46" long on the bottom, and about 5" tall. 

Instructions: 
First, let's start with the base. 
I used 8 pieces of wood about 20" long. With the amount of wood I specified, you can make your pieces up to 23". You cut them all from 2 1"x6"x8' wood pieces. 
Then you need two pieces for underneath at about 48" long. (Cut one of the 1x6x8 pieces in half) 
IMG_2663 
I also sanded down all the edges to save everyone from splinter's! 
IMG_2666 IMG_2668 IMG_2662 
Line them up, place your two long pieces along all of them and screw it all down). 
IMG_2673 IMG_2675

Optional: Stain them for a darker wood. 

IMG_2678 
Next, you'll need to clean all of your steel pipe and fittings. My dad gave me this stuff- LPS Electro Contact cleaner but I think you can just use a warm, soapy rag to clean off all the gunk. 
IMG_2683 IMG_2687 IMG_2684 IMG_2688
Now it's time to put all the pieces together. My dad did this part for me (he kind of took over) but what you do is grab some wrenches and just tighten this stuff together as much as you can. Start off with the top piece and attach the tees. Then the side pieces, the nipples and caps. And last, the floor flanges. 
IMG_2690 IMG_2680 IMG_2691 IMG_2696 IMG_2697 
Then, measure out your top (from middle of one tee to the next) and screw floor flanges onto base accordingly. 

IMG_6566 
Done! Here are some close up shots (: 
IMG_6559 IMG_6560 
It did cost a pretty penny but I LOVE it. It's *super* sturdy and will last a very long time. It also makes it sooo much easier to access my clothes now and I'm not so crammed for room.  We (and by we, I mean me) rearranged our bedroom for some simplifying and of course, to make room for my clothes rack (: I'll have to do another room tour but you can see how this wall looked here (there was a dresser there but I managed to shove it into our closet!). Wow, looking back I am realizing how much crap we had! There's a lot less stuff now. I'll definitely have to do another room tour. 

P.S. Last day to enter the giveaway! Ends at midnight! 

IMG_5162 copy