Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Questions!!

So a while back I asked you guys if you had any questions for me! I didn't get quite enough to fill up a video but I still wanted to answer them so here they are! Don't worry though, I've got a fun vlog in the making ;) 

Alex Wish: 
How did you start up-cycling clothes? And when did you know that's what you wanted to do for a living?

Well, I took a few classes in high school where I learned to sew and from then got my own sewing machine. I made costumes while I was in theatre which kind of sparked the idea of using some of my old clothes to make new clothes. I experimented a bit but it wasn't until after I had Eliza that I really got dived back into upcycling clothes and decided I wanted to try and make a living off of it! I remember when Eliza was a newborn, she would sleep all the time and I'd be stuck at home so I'd just sew all day. That was when I really learned how to sew, just me and my sewing machine. 

xo.leslieanne
Question: how do you find all the cute clothes thrifting! I only ever find reeeeeeally ugly clothes.

Haha, I kind of get this a lot actually. Umm, practice? I like to think that I have an "eye" and can see potential in things others may not. I also just go thrifting a LOT. So even though my wardrobe is almost completely thrifted, it's from years of searching through thrift stores and finding maybe one or two really good items for myself. 

Steena
Do you do any kind of scrapbooking for your little girl? Got any good ideas on that?


I used to scrapbook for her but then I got bored of it. It just takes a lot of time and money, both of which I don't have. I'd like to think that this will suffice for a scrapbook and maybe in the years to come, she will be able to look back here and remember all the good times. But one idea that might be useful is digital scrapbooking. I did a post on it here, if you'd like to read more.
ereddy
Is there a certain time of the day that is best to thrift? Or a certain day?

Umm, well I prefer to do my thrifting when it's not too crowded. So that's usually mid-day during the week. I have a few favorite thrift stores and I like to stay updated with all their sales and deals. One of them sends out weekly newsletters with what is on sale that week and then another has like "half off wednesdays". So it's helpful to be familiar with the stores and what deals are happening where.  

Amanda Rose
What would be your tips for a successful blog?

This question was asked before I did a whole post about it, you can read my  blogging tips here! 

Anonymous
Where do you usually shop? How did you pick the name Eliza?

I usually shop at thrift stores. Generally, I try to stay away from department stores but if there's some clothing item I need (like basics), I usually go to Forever 21 or Target. 

We had a few other names picked out but after our parents found out, we were totally turned off by them (we wanted to keep it a secret!). One day we just stumbled upon 'Eliza' and just fell for it. There was no arguing or debating, we were both in love with it. 

loony
what is your favorite mythological beast

Haha, umm a Centaur? I've always liked horses and I think they're just interesting. I mean, how cool would it be to be a half man/half horse?!
Anonymous
loony's question is so fun! what do you like to do most with eliza? did you know she was going to be a girl before she was born and if you didnt, what were the boy name options for her? best date you and brandon ever went on?

Ooh, that's a hard one. My favorite thing to do- in the mornings sometimes, before we get up, we'll just hang out in my bed and talk about what we want to do that day and make tents out of our sheets and just play. It's the best time because she's not quite awake to be a crazy ball of energy so she sticks around long enough so that we can have sweet conversations and cuddle! 

We had a sneaking suspicion she was going to be a girl. Brandon's dad has 3 girls out of 4 children and somehow we just kind of knew? We were trying to keep an open mind just in case but I think we were both secretly pining for a girl.  

Hmm, best date? I would say our first real date! He had just gotten his license and he drove me in his mom's car to a crawfish festival in town. I don't think we were "official" yet and it was kind of awkward but like the good kind. We walked through the crowds holding hands (probably not talking much!), he payed for everything, we ate good crawfish, and then we went home. Just kind of a typical, giddy, awkward first date. 

Amanda
If you could get a message across to a large audience, what woud it be?

Dream big. I've always been a firm believer in dreaming and I think everyone has the capability of doing great things but they must know that it's possible. That's something I'll always push on Eliza. I want the world for her. 

IMG_5162 copy