Monday, June 11, 2012

Mingle Monday: Arlo and Olive

Hola guys! It's time for Mingle Monday again. Today, I have a sweet gal over to share a really cool tutorial with you guys. Here she is: 
********************************************************************************

Hey, everyone! I'm Chelsea from Arlo and Olive, and I'm happy to be sharing a skirt tutorial with you today.  
COVER
  1. What got you into blogging and how long have you been at it? 
 When I was in high school/fresh out, I had a blog that I'd put some musings on. I really love to write, and some words just needed to be shared with the world. After going through a particularly angsty phase, I decided to delete that blog. Early this year, I decided to start blogging again. So much has changed! I'm a new mom, and I've got a lot of new interests. It's a nice getaway from the world I live during the day, but I can still talk about meaningful subjects. 

2. What does blogging mean to you? Business or pleasure? 
 The great part about blogging is that it can be both business AND pleasure! Personally, I enjoy getting to take a little time to myself to reflect on my day/week. A lot of my time is spent creating new things, and it's nice to be able to have an outlet to tell people about those creations. Blogs are great tools to bring people into your etsy shop.

 3. What do you mostly blog about?
 I like to blog about all things eco-friendly. I'm on a mission to become less wasteful, and my blog has everything to do with that. I love DIY's using recycled materials (like in the tutorial I'm about to show you!), and learning more about natural parenting. 

4. What do you besides blogging? What’s a normal day like in the life of Chelsea? Well, I've got a 6 month old son, Arlo, and a 3 year old dog, Olive (hence my blog name C:). They are pretty high maintenance,l but I love them both to pieces. Somehow, I find time to crochet and sew plush on the side. I just love to create cute things, and I always have. Once in a blue moon, I'll even get to do a 70 minute yoga session in my living room, or practice some new massage techniques. I believe that life is what you make it, so I try to make my life as relaxing and open minded as possible. 

5. Do you plan out your posts or just kind of wing it? Strict schedule blogger or go with the flow blogger?
 I like to think that I plan my posts, but it usually doesn't happen that way. I have certain subjects that I know I want to post about, but I'll start typing and they'll turn into something else. That's what I love about writing- it's so fluid that if you just go with the flow, you'll usually end up with something satisfying. 

6. Are you a daytime blogger or night owl blogger? 
 Definitely night owl. Nighttime is not only the most relaxing time for me, but it's my alone time. I'm a firm believer that everyone needs that. 

 7. Name a few of your favorite blogs and why?
 A Beautiful Mess (abeautifulmess.typepad.com) has so many tutorials, it's nuts! I absolutely love finding new tutorials, and the feeling of accomplishment after i'm done with them. I love the layout and the content of that site- just a gem. 
 Scathingly Brilliant (scathingly-brilliant.blogspot.com) is just wonderful. From the pastel pink background onward, Kate never disappoints. I love her style, and a lot of the colors that she uses in her posts just inspire me. 
 Little Chief Honeybee (honeybeeinthecity.blogspot.com) has the most beautiful pictures. Kaelah always has the cutest outfit posts, too. I want just about every pair of shoes that she has.

Now for the tutorial! 
 Form Fitting Illusion Skirt Tutorial Supplies: 
 One plain tshirt 
 One tshirt with graphics, or a pattern 
 A third shirt similar in color to the first (may or may not use this- depends on the size of shirt number one)
 Scissors
Ruler or straight edge 
 Piece of news paper or a large paper bag 
 Pins 
 Marker 
 Sewing machine 
 Tape measure 

 1) Measure your waist (or where you want the waistband to go), hips (or widest part of that area), and length from the waist to just above the knee. Take the first two measurements, and divide them by four. These new measurements will be used to make your pattern 

2) Using your marker, ruler, and newspaper, draw a line at the top of the paper that is your waist measurement (remember, the NEW measurement). Then, use your length measurement, and draw that line down the middle of the first line (like a “T”). Next, draw your hip measurement at the bottom of the length measurement. Make sure that the middle of the hip measurement is the part that goes across the length measurement. If your new hip measurement was 14 inches, then the length line would hit the 7 inch mark on the hip line. (see picture if confused) Connect the top lines with the bottom lines on both sides, and then cut the pattern out. 1
3) Pin the panel pattern to the plain t shirt, and cut out. Repeat, so you have TWO of the plain color. Repeat for the graphic/patterned shirt so you have a total of FOUR panels. 2 
4) Take the third shirt (or the first plain shirt, if you’ve got enough fabric) and measure the original waist measurement divided by two along one of the side seams (so you don’t have to make two seams… if this isn’t possible, find a spot where you can make the measurement and you’ll just sew both sides). If your original waist measurement was 32 inches, then the measurement you’d use in this step would be 16 inches. Make a slight mark with your marker where this measurement ends, and then measure 6 inches up, making another mark. Cut this rectangle shape out, and sew into a big loop with the right (that is, the part of the fabric you want on the OUTSIDE) sides together. 3
5) Take one plain panel, and one patterned panel, and pin together down one side, right sides touching. Make sure that your waist lines and your hip lines match up. If one of them gets upside down, you may have a very lumpy skirt on your hands. Sew down the side using a straight stitch, and then (if you want more stability) follow back up with a zig zag stitch. Repeat with the other two panels, making sure that no two like panels are touching (that is, make sure the patterned panels have a solid panel in between them on each side). 498097
6) When you have the basic form of the skirt sewn, turn it right side out. Take the waistband, and fold in half, turning the right side out, so that it is only 3 inches high. Pin around the waist line side of the skirt, right sides together, and sew using a straight stitch 5
7) Turn the skirt inside out again, and fold the hip line edges up about ½ an inch, then sew with straight stitch at 3/8 to a ½ inch seam allowance.
 8) VOILA! You’re done! Now you can go through your closet and make a ton of new skirts with those old, seemingly useless shirts you had hanging around in there! sometimes, tshirt fabric has too much give, and the waistband is a little loose. This can be fixed by making a mark ½ an inch from the top edge on both sides of the waistband (when the skirt is inside out), and sewing in a diagonal line from that line to the original seam that’s at the bottom of the waistband. To flatter your hips (giving the illusion of a curvy shape), wear the pattern on the outside. To bring attention away from hips (giving the illusion of smaller hips), wear the solid panels out the outside. 
6987097 
 This skirt tutorial is really just a basic form of a skirt- if you played with the measurements, there is no limit to what you could create. Stop by my blog and share your creations with me!

Thanks Chelsea, that was awesome!
 IMG_5162 copy