Tuesday, June 5, 2012

FOOD: Vegetarian White Enchiladas

Because we're trying to not eat as much meat, I've been experimenting with the foods we usually eat and substituting the meat for other things. I was craving some enchiladas so I decided to make up my White Chicken Enchiladas but use this non-meat product instead of chicken. I'm pretty sure this is a Morning Star product? I'm not positive but anyways, here's what I did:

(I cut some of the recipe in half for this one)

Ingredients:
1-2 cups chicken substitute
Taco seasoning
8-10 flour tortillas
1/2 onion (chopped)
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 package of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
7 oz. chicken broth
1/2 cup sour cream
1 4 oz. can of chopped green chiles
1 or 2 avocados
Optional- cream or milk



IMG_3642
First, I sauteed the chicken substitute with some taco seasoning. 
IMG_3640
Cook chicken, green chiles, and onion together in vegetable oil on medium-high heat. Add some more seasonings such as salt, pepper, paprika or cayenne for extra flavor. Also, to make it a little juicier you can add a splash of milk or cream now.  This will cook for about 10-15 minutes.   
IMG_3644 IMG_3645 
To start on your sauce, melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour to make a roux, stir and cook until bubbly. Gradually whisk chicken broth in then bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
IMG_3648 
Remove from heat, stir in sour cream. 
IMG_3652
 Now, fill your tortillas with the chicken mix and 1 ½ tbs cheese each. Roll up and place seam down in baking dish
IMG_3656
Fill up the dish with your enchiladas and then pour your sauce on top. Sprinkle on some more cheese and scoop out your avocado on top. (Mine doesn't look too neat but it's ok!) I was originally going to put the avocado inside the enchiladas but forgot so I just put them on top and that was perfectly fine. You can do either way. 
IMG_3658 
Then  bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.
IMG_3659 
Serve up and enjoy!
IMG_3662

It kind of looks like a big old mess but trust me, it's delicious!!! And just as good with fake chicken than real chicken. Great success!

IMG_5162 copy