Friday, June 22, 2012

DIY: Kitchen Play Mat

IMG_5065
I made this for Eliza a while back. We don't have room for a play kitchen so I came up with the idea of making this little fabric mat that she can roll out on top of her toy box (perfect height!) and play kitchen! She's got a sink on the left and a stove on the right to cook stuff on! 
IMG_0901 
I gathered a bunch of old fabric I had and let Eliza pick out all the pieces. 
IMG_0902 
She chose ^^ this for the main part. I cut two identical rectangles. 
IMG_0903 
And this pink floral fabric for the stove. I cut out circles and then cut them into spirals. Then pinned them on (to only one of the rectangle pieces!) and stitched them on! 
IMG_1857 
She chose this cool aqua striped fabric for the sink. After I stitched the sink (onto the same rectangle piece as the stove pieces), I placed the other rectangle piece (print side down) on top of the sink/stove piece. Then, I stitched along all the edges, leaving a little hole so that I could turn it inside out and then closed that up. 
IMG_1858 
And then I just sewed around the edges and between pieces just to give it a bit of structure! 
IMG_5061 
And bam! A portable little play kitchen that I can put away when she's done with it. 

Well, I'm about to head to the beach for the day. Hope you guys have an awesome weekend! 

IMG_5162 copy