Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cheesy Chicken & Avocado Casserole

IMG_1437 copy
GUYS, this was so good. I've been craving a good stuffed avocado recently but have not been able to track one down in my town. So I took a leap and attempted to make my own version! I thought about this for a long time and finally decided to make a sort of casserole. It didn't turn out quite as.... tex-mex as I'd like it but it was still freakin' delicious! I have a few things in mind to change for the next go around but that's for another post. Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
3 Avocados 
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast 
Cheese- I used this a mexican blend 
Half an onion
Cream or half & half
A dollop of sour cream 
Bread crumbs 
A few tablespoons of butter



IMG_1412 copy 
Throughly cook chicken. I like to create a pocket with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Before baking, you can season it like I did with some salt, pepper, and possibly cayenne pepper. 
IMG_1415 
Shred with two forks... 
IMG_1416 
And stir in the cheese, I ended up using this whole 8 oz. packet 
IMG_1418 
Chop up your onion and sautte with some butter or oil (I don't remember what I used)
IMG_1419
While you're waiting for those to cook a little, slice up your avocados and create a layer of them in whatever baking dish you plan to use. 
IMG_1420 copy 
(these aren't perfect but whatev)
IMG_1424 
After your onions have become a bit translucent (and not as brown as mine!) add in a little cream or half and half. I used half and half so I put quite a bit in. This can be optional though and you could probably do without.
IMG_1421 
Then toss in your chicken mixture. 
IMG_1422 
I also added a large scoop of sour cream. You could even use cream cheese? 
IMG_1426 
Stir that around until the cheese just starts to melt. Scoop that into your baking dish on top of the avocados. 
IMG_1427 
I probably used about a cup of bread crumbs and 3-4 tablespoons of butter. Cut the butter into the bread crumbs and evenly spread that on top of the chicken mixture. 
IMG_1431 
I cooked this at probably 375 for about 20 minutes (or until the bread crumbs start to brown). I actually tried to put the broiler on the last 5 minutes and burnt the top! I was able to scrape off the top layer though and it was fine..... so don't do that. 
IMG_1433 
And serve while hot! 
IMG_1438 

Looking at these pictures is making my mouth water. I can't WAIT to make this again. I wonder if cream cheese instead of sour cream would be better? I suppose I'll have to find out! Also, this does not make good left overs because avocado doesn't save well.... so eat it all the first night! (shouldn't be a problem) 

IMG_5162 copy