Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DIY: Camera Bag


My poor little camera has been through so much! In case I've never told you guys, I wield a Canon Rebel Xsi which I bought off Craigslist for $450. And I just love, love, looooove it. Of course, I have to thank Brandon for pitching in a little to help buy it ;) But we've taken it to the beach, on vacations, and I haul it around between work and home practically every single day! And even though I've had it for... a little over a year(?) I have not gotten a proper camera bag! Now, I looked into camera bags and 1) they're superdy-dooperdy expensive and 2) they're down right ugly! So I went on a quest to make my own and this is what I came up with!
blogged
I realize now, it's a bit girly..... woops? Not really what I intended but I like it.
blogged
I started out by thrifting this for about $6.
blogged
Then, I got some fabric and quilted it together to cover the top (I wasn't so crazy about the swirly things).
blogged
blogged
I pressed all the edges...
blogged
And pinned it all together. On the rounded corners, I clipped off the corner of the fabric to ease it into the curve.
blogged
blogged
blogged
Wohoo! Covered! Now, for the harder part. I used this foam that magically appeared at my dad's house.... so it was free.
blogged
I cut pieced for the bottom and sides.
blogged
blogged
I found some fabric, I went with something neutral to match the inside and cut two pieces for each piece of foam.
blogged
Then, with a piece of fabric on each side of my foam (right side facing outward) I stitched it... like that ^^. The foam I was using was kind of thick and I was hoping this would thin it a bit... it didn't really.
blogged
So here are all my finished pieces, next I connected them. Sides first, then the bottom.
blogged
I decided to make two little pads to cradle the lens. I cut foam in the size I wanted and then made a kind of pillocase for them. Then I sewed it as close to the bottom as I could and cut off the extra.
blogged
blogged
To sew them in place, I turned the whole thing inside out and stitched the little pads on the sides.
blogged
blogged
And last, I hemmed up the raw edges at the top.
blogged
blogged
And done! The space on the right is for either my wallet/phone or whatever so it can double as a purse. OR whenever my new lens arrives, I will make it it's own little case!

I ended up getting this 50 mm beauty and I CAN NOT wait until it comes in. Speaking of which, I recently got a new camera remote and HIGHLY recommend it. It's so small and sleek, comes with a little pouch that attaches to your camera strap (freakin' amazing and so very convenient) and it has a two second delay so you have time to hide it before it snaps the picture! Seriously, it's worth the $20. 

I'm so happy my camera has a home now. It's a little bulky but at least it's protected now! And the best part is, this can double as my purse when I need it to. I might make another for when this doesn't.... dare I say, "go with my outfit". Don't judge me ;) Hopefully I can find a way to make it more compact without giving up the amount of protection? I guess we'll just have to see about that! 

P.S. Has anyone ever tried to dye things with tea or coffee? I just had a thought and am thinking of trying one of those to kind of ruff it up a bit. Ideas? 

IMG_5162 copy