Thursday, February 16, 2012

Girlish Garb: Jeans & Skirts


Girlish Garb

For this Girlish Garb, I'm doing a little experiment! A reader emailed me, asking my advice on how to wear jeans with skirts. I've never actually done that so I offered to test it out! It was kind of fun; not to mention, very useful for those cold winter months! So for all the modest or cold people out there, here are some of my finds on wearing skirts with jeans. 


blogged


blogged
For this first outfit, I went with some high waisted bellbottoms! I chose a hip-hugging mini skirt with it so I went with a loose top to balanced out the look. This isn't particularly my favorite outfit, but it was just my first.. 


blogged


blogged
This is definitely one of my favorites! I used the same bellbottoms (they really don't have to be high-waisted) and used a maxi skirt as a top! Then I paired it with a vest to make the top (waistband) look not so awkward. Pretty cute if you ask me. I love the lace on this skirt. I definitely felt a little hippy with the bellbottoms and vest together ;)


blogged


blogged
For this outfit, I used a pair of grey skinny jeans. I paired it with a tight, high-waisted skirt, a tank top, and a flowy, lace, crop top. Lastly, I added the long necklace to pull it all together. I love me some neutrals in an outfit of color! For some reason I have a thing about wearing tight skirts and tight tops together.... I like to have something to break up all the... tightness. So I usually go with something loose on top, or a cardigan/vest/jacket. Or even a belt around the waist! 


blogged


blogged
After the tight skirt, I decided to see what a more puffy skirt looked like with skinny jeans. First I tried a long cardigan with it, which was... eh. But still ok. A cropped cardigan would have been better. 


blogged


blogged
And after that, I tried the loose shirt from the first outfit. I like that. To form a more balanced look however, I suggest a more form fitting blouse. That's what I was going for with the cardigan but it was long. Oh well.


blogged


blogged
For this last outfit, I decided to pull out the bellbottoms for one more go! I paired them with a different hip-hugging, high-waisted skirt! This time, I chose one with horizontal lines which I think helps with balancing out he flare? On top I have a tank and that awesome blue vest to bring the focal point back up to the top. I like the monotonous colors in this outfit. I tend to have colorful accessories so a neutral outfit is always good. 

After viewing all my outfits, I have to say that I'm not much of a bold color person. I do like color but in more subtle ways. I love stripes and florals, a weakness for sure. But I usually choose one piece with some popping color and go neutral with the rest. Interesting, I never really realized that before but I do it a lot.

Do you have any signature outfit traits you'd like to share?! Or tips for wearing skirts with jeans? I'd love to hear 'em! 

**The winner of the My Memories Giveaway is... Breezy!**
email me (samwish3@gmail.com) for your free software




IMG_5162 copy