Tuesday, February 21, 2012

DIY Spice Rack

Man, it's been a while since I've posted a good DIY! I was super pleased with how this one turned out, it definitely makes me smile every time I see it (: I got the idea from A Beautiful Mess (love that blog!). Here is a tutorial in pictures:

Materials I used: 
Metal Tray (mine was thrifted) 
Epoxy (from a hardware store)
Tin Cans (I got mine here
Little magnets (I got mine at Wal-mart)
Scrapbook squares (Michaels)

Things you'll probably have at home: 
paper 
pen 
scissors 
a piece of cardboard of something to mix epoxy on
a disposable stir-er (a toothpick or something) 
a scooper (i used those things that hold a bread bag shut)

blogged
I've had this laying around just waiting for a practical use! I'm pretty sure it came from a Goodwill

blogged
I only bought 12 tin cans and still haven't filled them up. Things that I prefer to be in a shaker (like cinnamon), I left in their container but for larger, leafy type seasonings I went ahead and put in the tins. This cleared out so much space and clutter from my pantry! Oh, and before you begin you'll need to clean your tins with soap and water. 

blogged

blogged

blogged
For those who have never used epoxy, never fear! It's pretty simple. 

blogged
My dad always tells me to point the tip up so the air bubbles go to the top. Then you squeeze out the air (carefully) and then squeeze an equal amount onto your cardboard (or something else that can be thrown away). 

blogged
So now that you have a butt shaped blob, you'll want to mix it together with something disposable (in my case a piece of a plastic fork I found). 

blogged
Once you mix it up, it's going to start setting so you need to apply it ASAP. 
blogged
I chose to put 2 magnets on each tin just in case... and also because I had LOTS of magnets to spare. 

blogged
Let it dry according to instructions. 

blogged
Pick out all of your seasonings. For the spices that wouldn't all fit in the tins, I found a box to store them away at the top of my pantry. 

blogged
Next, you're going to make name tags! This part is kinda fun. 

blogged
I cut out sheets of paper with two lines on them (because I liked how Elsie did them). 

blogged
Then I drew on some more lines and wrote out all of my spices. 

blogged
I stuck two squares of scrapbook tape on it. 

blogged
Peeled the backs off

blogged
And stuck it on my tin!

blogged
Then you just fill up your tins and stick 'em on your tray! 

blogged
Bada bing, bada boom!

blogged

DIY SPICE RACK! I ended up hanging it on the wall above my sink with those sticky things for picture hanging. So far so good. I haven't really used any of these yet but I can't wait to get the chance! 

In other news, I'm having a giveaway for some Sam Wish jewelry! Two winners will win some free jewelry, see my Facebook page to enter. 

Hope you guys are having a great Tuesday! For some reason, Tuesdays always feel like Mondays to me. Mondays are like my Sundays. And Saturdays are like my Fridays.... but my Fridays are like.... lazy Saturdays. I don't know, my days are all mixed up. But enough about me, how's your week going? 




IMG_5162 copy