Thursday, January 19, 2012

DIY Christmas Gifts

Here are a few christmas presents I made for Eliza and Brandon. Starting with the shirt I made for Brandon. Here's how I did it!


blogged
My pretty mommy helped me with the pattern. She gave me this paper stuff to use and sketched out the pattern I had in mind. (cause she's a pro)



blogged
Then, I taped my pattern to the shirt. 



blogged



blogged



blogged
And pounced it with some black fabric paint. I let this dry for about 30 minutes, moved the pattern (lining it up so that it's not crooked) and did the rest of the shirt. 



blogged
It's still a little crooked but I like it! And so does Brandon (atleast I think so...) I love that it looks handmade. 

This next one is what I made for Eliza! I used one of her favorite dresses as a pattern. I have had this pretty pink paisley jersey fabric for a while and it was perfect for this project! 



blogged



blogged
So first, I cut out the skirt (basically a rectangle). Making sure to that it's two layers. 



blogged
Then, I did the same thing with the top. 



blogged
I dug this pretty tulle-like fabric (soft though) out of my closet to go over the bottom of the skirt. I cut it a bit longer than the skirt part. 



blogged
So here's all my pieces. 



blogged
Then, I basted the mesh fabric to the bottom skirt part. Making sure that it's evenly distributed (the ruffles that is). 



blogged
Then (separately), I sewed the side edges of both skirt pieces to make it a complete skirt. 



blogged
blogged
Ta-da! Skirt! 



blogged



Then, I got my top piece and sewed the side edges (print side facing each other)



blogged
And then I marked the middles of the top and the skirt so that I could attach it to the skirt in the right places (this is my lazy way of avoid having to do the whole baste and then pull the strings to get the ruffles thing)



blogged
I then pinned the top to the skirt (with right sides facing each other). 



blogged
And sew! 



blogged
Then, I cut some straps, sewed them on, and then made gathered the skirt in 4 different places to give it a princess-y look! 



blogged

It's pretty freakin' cute if I don't say so myself. I do have to adjust the straps though.... but other than that, perfecto! I made a few other things for christmas gifts but these were my favorite! 

Today is Thursday! Which is my favorite day! Because we eat wings! And I have an obsession with wings!

Also, I've got an exciting surprise coming up!! If you follow me on twitter than you know (:

And before I forget, I got a new signature (down below). You like??



IMG_5162 copy