Saturday, December 3, 2011

DIY Paint Swatch Wall Art


blogged
I was inspired by this post on A Beautiful Mess to make some paint swatches art. However, mind did not come out quite as pretty. I do like mine but I got these row ones and when I cut them... well they didn't come out as straight as I wanted so I scratched that and just kind of went with whatever. Anyways, here's how it happened: 


blogged
So I got a bunch of swatches in the colors of my choice... Eliza picked a few out too. 


blogged
then I cut out all the text. 


blogged
See? Not very straight. 


blogged
I got an empty frame that I had and took out the back. I was going to cover it but then I got a bit lazy and decided I liked it the way it was. It's kind of like... rustic, right? So I lined them up in two rows but didn't like them just like that. 


blogged
So the top row, I cut into triangles


blogged
And then the bottom row I cut into mismatched squares. Interpret it however you'd like but I kinda think they look like trees! 


blogged
And I kind of planned on taping them down but then opted for the much easier route- a glue stick! 


blogged
Glued them down... 


And put it in the frame. 


blogged
I like that's it's kind of campy looking. And also colorful and playful. It fits in our living room well. 
blogged
So not perfect but I like it regardless. And it was fun to kind of just let go of my expectations, explore a little and go with the flow. I haven't done that in a while. 

In other news! Brandon turned 21 yesterday, wahooo! We had school all day yesterday but we had about an hour of quality time for him to open gifts. I got him a record player (!!!finally!), a thrifted sweater, some shot glasses that I drew different mustaches on, and a "Birthday Recovery Kit" including some aspirin, crackers, bandaids, and coupons for back massages. Then today we attempted to put-put. This basically consisted of, us hurriedly whacking the ball, Eliza runnin in, swiping up all of our balls and either threwing them in the hole or in the bushes. It was a good time. I think I was laughing too much to really care and I'm really suprised we didn't lose any of our balls. Anyways, the 21st birthday celebration starts tonight and it's going to be a late one (: I plan on making some coffee, and then a version of mexican hot chocolate with tequilla. I don't know about you but that sounds freakin' amazing to me. Hope you guys have a good friday! And a good weekend in case I don't make it back before Sunday... or Monday. Tata!







Signature copy