Wednesday, December 7, 2011

DIY Advent Calendar


blogged
This one was a doozy! It took me a really long time to figure out what I wanted because I had this idea in my mind but I couldn't find anything that I liked! So this is what I came up with and.... well it took me a lot longer than I thought. But that's probably due to my crazy decision to sewing everything by hand. It probably took me around 5 hours? But hey, it'll last a couple years so it's worth the effort. And it came out really cute! Every time I see it, I can't help but feel proud of myself (: It was super cheap as well, probably around $10, maybe $15. So here's a tutorial in pictures: 


blogged
So first, I drew out a kind of sketch and figured out the sizes of the shapes I wanted in it. 


blogged
Then I cut out my house and made sure it was semi-symmetrical


blogged
And then I cut out a piece that matched the door. 


blogged


blogged
Next, I cut my house and door pieces out of the felt color of my choice (brown for the house and a beige for the door). 


blogged
Next, I cut out a picture for the pocket. I wanted these to be pretty vintage fabrics for some added prettyness. 


blogged


blogged
So, I gathered a collection of scrap fabrics putting together kind of a theme. 


blogged
Then, I cut out the pocket section. 


blogged
Next, put all your pieces together. 


blogged
We got these heart shaped buttons and those other ones, so now pick out a button to match!


blogged


I did this part kind of backwards on the first house. But next, you should add your number. I was going to just buy like stick on numbers but couldn't find any so I just embroidered some on. This was one of the most time consuming parts. If you decide to embroider it, just sew onto the door not the pocket piece or house. 


blogged
blogged
Next, sew your button on. You can sew this onto the door and pocket piece if you'd like, as long as you don't sew it onto the house. 
blogged


blogged


Now, sew the door to the pocket piece (not the house!) And then sew the pocket piece onto the house piece! 


blogged
Almost done! Last part, cut out some paper pieces to fit in the pockets and add your 25 days of christmas activities! 


blogged
The first was Brandon's birthday so this is what I put: 


blogged
(:


blogged
I did the first one by itself just to see how to do it and then I streamlined the rest of them. I cut out all my house pieces at once, then the door pieces, and then the pocket pieces. Then, I laid out all the pieces and figured out what looked good next to each other and added whatever buttons looked best. Then, I embroidered all the doors, sewed all the buttons on, then the doors, and then sewed all the pocket pieces on. 


blogged


blogged
And this is what it looks like in my house! I hung up some yarn and clipped them on with mini wooden clothes pins. 


blogged


blogged



I also bought a few pieces of candy to put in some of them. Oh! And I bought a disposable camera to take pictures of each days activity! When it's over, I plan on getting it developed and make a little scrapbook with the pictures and activity cards. So that will be fun, I'm sooo excited about this Christmas. It'll be the first Christmas where Eliza knows what's going on and the first Christmas in our own place! So to me, it's like our first Christmas as a family (: 

**Tips to make this easier: You can machine sew the pieces on, or use fabric glue? I bet even hot glue will work! Find some kind of numbers instead of embroidering them on (ink? fabric? paper?). And you could also glue the buttons on, since they're just for decor, they don't have to be sewn on. 
Signature copy