Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Easy Fix- Broken Purse Strap

Remember my Michael Kors bag? The one with the broken strap? Well I looked everywhere for a strap to replace it but couldn't find one so I came up with my own solution. I used this chain that I had (nice, long, and strong) and attatched it to the loops on the bag. Good to go, right? Well I used it to lug my books and computer around and it pretty much killed my shoulders. So for a while I wrapped a scarf around it and that was... better but I needed a more permanent solution. And this is what I came up with!

blogged
 
So all you need is an old belt (preferably one that matches), a needle, and some heavy duty thread (I used button thread because that's what I had).

blogged
 
Cut two pieces of your old belt for a shoulder "guard", mine were about 4" long.

blogged

Then all you do is sandwich the chain between the two pieces of belt, making sure the chain is in the middle. Also, (IMPORTANT!) make sure that the "guard" is centered at the top of the chain (mine ended up a little off center).

blogged

Then sew through the whole length of the guard, making sure to sew through the chain.

blogged

Last, round the edges of your guard (totally optional).

blogged

I'll admit that this isn't the prettiest fix but hey, it sure does help! Maybe I'll wrap some pretty fabric around it some day. I really love the gold chain though. It works perfectly! This is definitely my new favorite bag!

On a side note, our fridge broke yesterday! Ugh. However, I single handedly (ok, maybe with a little telephone guidance from my dad) fixed it! And I couldn't be more proud of myself. It involved emptying all of our food, creating a make-shift cooler (holla!), and dissasembling my freezer! I felt like such a handy-man. And I must admit, my make-shift cooler (made of a plastic box, ice, and lots of thick blankets) turned out pretty darn good! The past week, I made a bunch of frozen dinners (lasagna, casserole, etc.) and I managed to save all of them, woohoo! And did I mention, I did this all at 2 o'clock in the morning? I ended up missing my alarm clock this morning, running late to drop off Eliza at mother's day out but made it just in time for my jazz dance midterm. I got home, turned my fridge back on and returned my food to it's rightful place. I also took this opportunity to do a fridge deep clean and got rid of a lot of stuff we don't need. Yay for decluttering! Ok, enough of my rambling. How was your day?

Signature copy