Thursday, September 1, 2011

Store Background

I thought I would share with you guys how I put together my newest set for my store's photoshoots. I wanted it to look homey but better than the carpet and wall (with outlets) I was using. So here's what I did. This is a rough estimate of the prices for my materials, I can't remember the exact ones!
Supplies
 Rayon- $13
Plywood- Free (had it)
Wall Screws- Free (had them)
Kilz- Free (had it)
White Paint- $5 for a little sample thing
Grey Stain- $5
Little thing of Polyurethane- $7
Brushes- Free (had)
Total Estimate- $30
First, I painted the rayon with a couple layers of Kilz. I let that dry and painted a couple layers of white.

blogged
Then I stained the plywood (note: make sure you use the nice side or sand one of the sides so that it is smooth). Basically to stain something, you brush on a layer of stain, let it sit for a bit, and then wipe it off with an old rag. Let it dry and then seal it with some polyurethane. I chose a matte polyurethane and then only did one layer, (because I got impatient and I really didn't need more than one).

blogged
Then I hoisted my rayon up against the wall and screwed it in place with those screws you get for sheetrock (with the plastic part and the screw that goes inside).

blogged
Click picture for shirt details.
And then all you have to do next is slide the plywood up to it at the bottom and you're good to go! You could possibly add molding to make it fancier but I chose to keep it simple. I really liked the grey stain I got for the bottom, I believe the name was "Sunbleached".  Hope you all are having a great week! I'm glad it's almost over though, I'm ready for a weekend!

Signature copy