Friday, September 9, 2011

Infinity Dress From Vintage Sheet

TGIF!! I'm so ready for the weekend! I've got some serious stuff to catch up on including homework, laundry, work, and sleep! Anyways, on with the tutorial!
 
blogged

This has to be one of my favorite projects I have ever done. I am just giddy with excitement on how this turned out! Look how pretty! I got the idea from here: Infinity Dress. And I've had this pretty, queen-size, vintage sheet laying around waiting for something special to use it for!

blogged

So I worked up the guts and finally took a whack at this! I did it a little differently than the link above since I used non-stretchy material. Here's what I did:
First, folded the 90" side in half and layed it out flat (ok, a little flatter than this)
blogged
If you have a fitted sheet like mine, it's easiest to cut off the elastic on the edges and snip the little corner seams so it lays flatter.

Then, I used this circle skirt tutorial to figure out how to cut/construct the skirt portion of it.

blogged
 
I cut it according to the directions and my dimensions. Then I sewed the pieces together to form my skirt.

blogged

I serged the inside seams and the bottom hem but if you don't have a serger, you can just fold up the bottom hem and sew it.

blogged
 
Next, I cut my straps. According to the infinity dress instructions, I measured from the middle of my bust to the inside of my armpit. The width I used was about 9" (the measurement plus extra for seam allowance). And then for the length, I just cut them 90" long.

blogged

Next, you'll need to finish the edges. You can either fold the edges in and sew them or serge them like I did. I also tapered one side of each of them.

blogged

Next, turn your skirt right side out. Find the front and lay it flat with the front facing up. Lay your straps down (face down), lining up the edges with the top of the skirt. You can overlap them an inch or two(like I did) or just lay them side by side. I overlapped mine but ended up wishing I hadn't. So it's up to you.

blogged

Sew them on, making sure to reinforce with backstitching where the two meet and the outside edges.

blogged

Then finish the edges of the top of the skirt. You can fold it in and sew or serge it like mine. (pardon my dirty floor!)

blogged

Then I added elastic to the back to keep it all up! And you're done!

blogged

I had a lot of fun experimenting with the different ways to do it! I can't wait to wear this little baby out!

infinity dress

Do you own an infinity dress? What do you think?

Signature copy