Monday, September 26, 2011

DIY U.S. Map Pillow


IMG_8257
I saw this U.S. Map Pillow tutorial a looong time ago and recently decided I needed some more pillows! So I whipped one up the other day and it turned out super cute! Here's what I did:

First, gathered my materials. You will need:
Fabric for the pillow, I chose a vintage floral fabric
2 colors of felt, one for the U.S. and one for the heart.
Thread
A sewing machine
A needle
Scissors
Paper
Printer

IMG_8225
 
Print out this U.S. diagram, provided for us by the lovely KikiCreates. I actually saved it and then put it into a Word document to get a size that would fit the felt that I had. Cut out the diagram, pin to felt and cut out your felt U.S. Then cut 2 rectangles of fabric for the pillow and a heart with your second felt.


Pin your felt U.S. to one of the pillow fabrics and hand stitch.

IMG_8234

Next, grab your heart and hand stitch to U.S. in your place of residence (mine was Houston).

IMG_8237
 
Then place your second pillow fabric right side down on top of the one with the U.S.. Pin edges together.

IMG_8239

Sew all edges leaving a 3"-4" gap somewhere for turning out.

IMG_8240
 
Clip the corners.


IMG_8242
 
Turn the pillow right side out through the gap.


IMG_8245

Stuff it and pin together the gap.

IMG_8248


Stitch up the gap.

IMG_8247


And you have an adorable U.S. pillow!

IMG_8250


It's nice to have a DIY come out better than expected. I really love it! I have some other pillow ideas up my sleeve, we'll see how those turn out! I feel so overwhelmed with work/homework/life today but don't feel like doing any of it! On top of that, Brandon got a flat tire today and is running around town trying to get a knew one. Hopefully the rest of my week goes well.... oi vey. Wish me luck.

Signature copy