Thursday, September 29, 2011

Core Values

As you know, I had a rough day yesterday. And yes, it had a lot to do with the events that made it bad but also those being combined with some long-term troubles I've been having such as financial difficulties, the successfullness of my new store (or lack there-of), and then life- keeping up with school, housework, Eliza, making sure everyone get's fed. It's just a lot. I'm usually very good at keeping positive and just taking things one day at a time but when I have a bad day, it all seems to come crashing down. Like yesterday.

But, I had a very good day today!  And I want to thank Courtney for cheering me up, you're the best! I had a really good day at work (woot woot!) and have spent the last couple hours doing some real soul searching to re-evaluate some things in my life. I was going through my emails and found this article by Handmadeology (wonderful resource for selling on Etsy) about how to find your core values. So I decided, what the heck! And tried it out. It was pretty insightful and might turn out to be a lot of help so I thought I'd share.

I narrowed my "core values" down to these five:

  1. Family
  2. Happiness
  3. Passion
  4. Creativity
  5. Personal Growth

And here's what they mean to me:

  1. Family- my family comes before everything else. They are at the heart of everything I do, definitely the most important aspect in my life. What would you be without your family?
  2. Happiness- keeping a positive outlook on life. Seeing the beauty in what I have and enjoying it. Having an appreciation for life, the people around me, and for myself.
  3. Passion- to do with love. To have a deep affection in the things I do and live life to the fullest everyday.
  4. Creativity- to be able to make pretty things to surround myself with. Creating beauty with my imagination and the skills I have learned. Do you ever yearn to make something?
  5. Personal growth- to excel in whatever it is that I try to do and come out a better person. To learn as much as I can!
 It's hard to describe what simple words can mean to you. What about yourself? What are your core values and what do they mean to you?



** Also, a little side note: I hope you guys don't mind my ranting too much. I was reading Indie Jane Photogrophy's blog the other day and was inspired by how personal it was. Not like too personal but within reading a couple of her posts (or maybe ten... I may have been stalking her a bit...), I felt like we were friends! So that's what I want to do here, get down and dirty! Haha, no but really. I just want to be able to connect with you guys on a real level. I'm not perfect, just trying to do the best I can! Don't be too shy to comment! I love to hear what you guys have to say and I promise I'll comment back (: Sometimes I think I'm talking to myself out here, so join in the conversation. I won't bite!


Signature copy