Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mail sorter

I meant to share this a while ago but... forgot. I made this cute little mail sorter to hang on the wall and sort our mail! I got my inspiration from here: http://sewlovesew.blogspot.com/2008/07/mail-sorter.html and kind of improvised my own. Here's a step by step in pictures:
blogged
 
Cut two pieces of fabric the dimensions of your choosing using a hanger to kind of get an idea for the width and use some sample mail to get an idea of height.

blogged
 
Cut some pieces for the pockets, they need to be the width of the base pieces (above). I chose to do three different pieces.
 
blogged
 
If you used more than one, sew them together.

blogged
 
Then sew a hem along the top,

blogged
 
This is also optional but I used some fabric scraps to put on top.

blogged

And then I stitched our initials on the pieces in the middle.

blogged
 
If you used extra pieces in the middle, this is the time to sew them to the pockets.

blogged
 
Layer the pieces: front base piece(facing up), pocket(facing up), back base piece(facing down)

blogged
 
Lay the hanger down and pin all the pieces together, pin along one side of the hanger to the top.

blogged

Sew along pins and flip inside out. Slip hanger in now. 

blogged

Cut off excess fabric, fold in seam, pin, and sew shut. Make sure it'll hang evenly before you sew it shut! 

blogged


blogged

Ta da! Mail Sorter! I'm off to gather school supplies, not really looking forward to starting school but who is? This weekend we're taking our last getaway to Austin. My brother and sister when off to college last weekend so I'm going to visit them and enjoy my last, relaxing, kid-free, weekend. Brandon and I are both taking a bunch of classes so it's going to be a tough semester! Luckily, for my birthday, my mother offered to pay for mother's day out so that's going to help a lot! And Eliza can make some friends her own age, so it's a win-win! Well it's Thursday, my favorite day! I'm gonna eat some wiiiiings tonight!
 
Signature copy